Mark vii identification help

I recently bought a 52 mark vii and need help to decode the number I’ve spent hours on the net looking.
Chassis # 712612
Engine # A 6058-7
Body number # L006017
Gearbox # OSL 3768 A

We have not been able to find the engine number on the actual engine just the number C13790.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

It should be stamped on the block by the oil filter and on the head in front of the front spark plug.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/engine_numbers.htm

Where is this C13790 located? I did not find a block listing with that number, although C13791 is a reconditioning liner sleeve for 3.8 Mark IX engines.

Cat,
As Rob points out, the engine number will be stamped on the the head at the front inside the spark plug valley and on block just above the oil filter. It is on the horizontal area right above the oil filter often covered with decades of grease and dirt and invisible. I have used a stiff wire brush to scrape away the grime to find it. .

Do you know about the Saloondata.com website? If not then you should check it out. There are lots of Jaguar saloons listed with pictures and a variety of serial numbers of different components. Maybe you will find your car, or others made about the same time with helpful info.

Paul

The C13790 is located on the side of the engine near where we thought the engine number would be. It does also say 3.8 litre so maybe its a mark ix engine. I thought mark vii came out in a 3.4

We plan to pull out the engine soon so will hopefully find it after a good clean.
I had a look at saloondata mine isnt in the database but i’ll have a look through the cars they have.

If the engine number isnt stamped on the front valley of the head, it is either a “Jaguar spare part” replacement, or a post 1968 head , they are not stamped

I cannot remember for sure where the engine num on the block is for MKVII, but fairly sure it on the flat part above oil filter, and flange where bellhousing bolts on

thank you.
its all very confusing at first

all MKVII had 3.4 engine, so it is definitely a replacement

Thank you for confirming my thoughts

have you still got the overdrive box, indicated by your data plate ?

It is not easy to remove the engine & GB from above, it must be tilted at at various angles, very sharp angle at the end to clear radiator frame rail, a lot of ppl cut & weld this back in, dont need to, just be prepared.

If the number C13790 is cast in raised characters 1/2" to 3/4" tall, it is the part number of the block casting. The original engine A6058-7 would have had the number C4820 here with 3-1/2 LITRE also in raised letters.
The early XK120 and Mark VII engines had various problems. Engine swapping was not uncommon back in the days when used engines were readily available and these cars were daily drivers in the hands of folks on low budgets.
The prefix OSL is not an overdrive box, it is a standard box made by Moss Gear Co., basically equivalent to a JL prefix box. JL boxes were made by Jaguar under license from Moss.

we don’t know at this stage

the C13790 is in raised letters. thank you for your help

Hi, I know I’m digging up old threads but I’m trying to re-comply our Mk VIIM special. Where do you find the number on the chassis?

1 Like

AFAIK, if the head does not have a serial no stamped on it, as mentioned it will be post 1967\68, BUT it will also be a straight port type. With the SPH, the front spark plug will be in the front of the combustion chamber, all others the plug is at the rear of the chamber. May help identify. Also, the unstamped heads are for 4.2 engines, which means the cooling galleries at the rear of the head need plugging to fit 3.4\3.8 engines whose blocks don’t have those passages