Master Brake Cylinder Tipping Valve

List:
As I think I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried to disassemble a used master brake cylinder that I had on hand, but the crud inside was so hardened that nothing would move. So I put PB Blaster in all the openings, sealed them up with duct take and put the unit in a plastic bag for a week.

When I opened the bag the other day, all the crud in the cylinder was soft and I was able to wipe all the parts clean. The cylinder appears to be in very good condition. Looking in the bore of the cylinder, I see no scrapes or scratches. I installed the new parts and rubber purchased from the XK’s Unlimited.

The part is from a car, with only 40,000 miles on it. The former owner bought the car for the engine and had no use for the resst of the car. I bought it and have removed many parts. The body number is only 200 after my car so, the cars were identical.

The reason for this post is with regard to the inside of the shaft that contains the primary and secondary plungers as shownMaster%20Brake%20Cylinder in the attached drawing.

When I disassembled this master brake cylinder, I noticed that the bottom of the tipping valve, #2 in the attached diagram, was protruding into the cylinder where parts and springs #3-18 travel.
I had to remove the tipping valve to allow the parts to come out of the cylinder. XJ’s Unlimited supplied a new Tipping Valve. When I installed the new Valve, it too protruded into the cylinder. This struck me as odd until I noticed that the protrusion was between #10, the intermediate spring and #12, the secondary plumber. And since both the old and new Tipping Valves did the same thing, it must be designed that way.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Regards
Lou

What tips the tipping valve if not the #12, is that your question? The valve has to tip to do something and that part #12 tips the tip of the tipping valve - I don’t know brake cylinders well, but that’d be my tip.
It has to protrude.
David

Yes, the tipping valve AKA tilt valve is operated by the piston or plunger, and allows fluid from the reservoir to flow into the pressure system, and back out again when the pedal is released. It closes when you step on the pedal and the plunger moves out of the rest position.