Matching paint color

From the EType UK forum according to Clausager there were 262 S1 and 1.5 cars painted Honey Beige and six S2’s. Paint code shown as Honey Beige = 26632 Glasso GIP.

As mentioned before from your pic it sure looks like Honey Beige to my eye but hard to tell for certain given we’re looking at colors on a PC screen! But, for what it’s worth, I’m definitely sticking with Honey Beige which was a factory color at the time - not as glamorous as you may have anticipated possibly. BTW, I own one of these examples so I’m quite familiar with the color as are you.

Your paint shop will get a match for you so have fun with this project. Cheers. :sunglasses:

Can you post a picture of your car which you say is Honey Beige.

Steve I don’t have a Heritage Certificate but planning on getting one.

That will tell you exactly what paint color the factory recorded in their official record when they built the car. (This was before the age of computers at Jaguar; they kept a handwritten log of every car that left the factory, noting the four numbers on the data plate, the interior and exterior colors body style, date built and date dispatched. That information is transcribed to the Heritage Certificate.) That’s about as authoritative as it gets. From that point it just becomes a matter of finding someone to mix a batch of paint that closely duplicates the original color.

What part of the country do you line in?..there is a shop in Niagra Falls NY that has a lot of the old toners…did a great job for me…not cheap but for good paint who cares

Benny:

As you know lighting makes a huge difference - your car is in the shade and mine is in full sun but you’ll get the idea of Honey Beige on a FHC. 256 cars shared between 2 model years (67+68); LHD & RHD; OTS, FHC & 2+2. Who knows how many Honey Beige 1968 OTS models were built to 1968 US specs??? I don’t know the number but it wouldn’t be a ton. I’ve been to many Jag meets over 30+ years and I’ve not seen another one in the flesh - yes, a few later model Series 2 Ascot Fawn cars but no Honey Beige examples.

Good luck with the paint match. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s interesting to note that Clausager (former Jaguar Archivist) doesn’t mention “Sand” or “Honey Beige” as paint colors in his book. He is the one I tend to go to for information on paint and interior colors as he had direct access to the build ledgers when writing the book. That said, you can find references to “Jaguar Honey Beige” in the 1966-69 timeframe for Mk 2s, and even a paint code (no doubt obsolete). Clausager does mention “Oyster Beige (34)” and “Valentine Beige (82)” as “experimental” colors used on 4.2L Series 1s (figure in parentheses is the number of cars in that color), though there are no photos of the colors. This is in addition to “Beige (262)”, which appears to have more red in it than the car in question. The timelines for these colors is listed as Oct 65 - June 67 (Oyster Beige), and Aug 66 - March 67 (Valentine Beige - LHD only). I have a friend from the Oil Leaks who has a 67 OTS in what appears to be the same color as Benny’s car, which he was told is “Sand” when he was searching for a paint match.

My car in the sun yours looks warmer here other Honey Beige look grayer, see #6
https://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661&p=24640&hilit=color+data#p24660

As mentioned earlier lighting conditions are a big factor. Have another look at the pic I attached in my 1st post, a Honey Beige FHC; and here’s one more of my car - yes, same car just different lighting:

I went through this whole process 30+ years ago looking for a paint match when tidying up the engine compartment (engine side frames, picture frame, firewall, etc). At that time a Jaguar factory trained mechanic had mentioned to me when he first saw my car that he had never seen an E Type in this color before - he mentioned it was Honey Beige and that it was not unusual to see it on Mark II sedans of the early '60’s. So, when looking for a paint match I went to a reputable paint shop and asked for a quart of acrylic enamel, Jaguar Honey Beige - they found a paint code for it and mixed the paint for me - I don’t recall it being a big deal but we’re talking old school 30+ years ago using different paints than what’s available today. The key is the paint was a good match.

Some info I posted from the EType UK forum was gleaned from notable contributor to both that forum and also periodically here on Jag-lovers, more specifically @Heuer. Maybe @Heuer will be able to join this discussion and help us out since he’s done a lot of research into Jaguar paint colors. Here’s another tidbit he posted on this forum from 2018 (take note of Line 3, Beige (Honey Beige), ie. a factory Jaguar color.

I’ve concluded trying to do a paint match over the internet is absolutely an impossible task.

Cheers.

As I am also painting the underside of the bonnet I settled for PPG paint that is close enough
for my taste I’ve already used 4 spray cans and getting 2 more to complete the job. Getting the
exact match these days is almost impossible,I want to be done with it and drive my car.

1 Like

Yes, Benny, have at it and get 'er done! It’s driving season so look forward to getting your beautiful OTS back on the road and enjoying your rare and cool ride. Have fun! :sunglasses:

I think you may be referring to Urban Paint, Pete. Not far from Niagara Falls but actually located in North Tonawanda NY. I have patronised them frequently. They unfortunately do not ship product. Counter sales only.

Thanks Gary
You too enjoy your car and have fun
Benny

Interesting about paint codes. My car was originally osg (but had been reprayed multiple times). I found a paint code on JCNA’s site but when I gave it to my paint supplier it came up as blue. He asked me what it was called, I told him & when he entered that into his system it came up as opalescent silver grey Jaguar 1959. It was a perfect match to the transmission cover, the only removable part on the car that still had original paint on it.

I had several conversations with Urban about shipping …I pointed out that the USPS has no problem shipping paint…didnt care…Tried to get a courier to pick up the box…no one would pick up and take to post office…finally found a friend of a friend who did the pick up…very frustrating experience…

Finally got paint that matches. The shop was able to take a reading and apply paint color as needed, took about an hour.

(post deleted by author)