Mechanic in the Seattle Area

I looking for a mechanic to work on my 1987 xjs, I need to have the water pump changed and the brake calipers rebuilt.

Thx Ralph

Fellow lister, Chuck Goolsbee, mayq know of one, or Roger Los.

People I’ve used and have been very pleased with.

1. Jaguar John, in Bellevue behind Park Place Motors LTD.
  2. BritSports of Seattle 24th Ave
  3. British Specialty Auto

Hi Mark thank you for the information.

Thx Ralph

Your welcome.
Jaguar John use to be over in West Seattle, He did 90% of the restoration work for Park Place Motors, LTD (Bellevue). then in the last 10 years he joined or open a great big shop behind Park Place

Britsports is fairly new. and expensive.

British Specialty Auto (Andy McDonald) is highly respected in the Seattle Jaguar Club, and hosts a tech sessions at his shop which is located on his residential property. Good guy does good work too.

What work are you wanting done on your XJS?

Personal message me and I will get you phone numbers.

Hi Mark, I have a 1987 Jaguar that’s been sitting for 10 years, the car only has 40,000 miles on it. The brake calipers are seized and there is a water leak at the front of the engine, I think the water pump is gone, it’s very hard to see.

The car is otherwise flawless. It’s been in our family since new.

Your name is familiar you to me, you don’t race a vintage E type with Sovern?

Thx Ralph

I’d probably recommend Andy Johnson then. As far as cost is concerned you’re looking at probably somewhere between 4 to 5 grand. Andy will be the hardest to get into, but is very mindful as he works. Jag John will get your car back on the road the quickest.

While the water pump is being replaced you might as well consider replacing the coolant hoses too. It’s called a “hose kit” they run around $125.00 and will set you back about $500.00 to install. It’s fiddley work.
Brakes with parts is roughly $3,000.00
Water pump installed is about another $1,000.00

The parts are relatively cheap, it’s the labor that’s a kicker.
For example, Centric rebuilt calipers “loaded” meaning with pads $80.00 at rock auto
Brake hoses under $10.00 (rock auto)

The water pump may be a bit of a challenge; single pulley?
You can send yours off and have it rebuilt, or
OE (retro part) about $250.00 with crappy gasket, I’d recommend replacing with a properly thick gasket.

I wish I raced vintage E types with Sovern :slight_smile:

Have you fired up the XJS?

Hi Mark, the car does run, hopefully those are the only problems. I used to run at Sovern, I still have a 1967 Ford Lotus Cortina MK2 and a 1970 Chevron B-17 Formula B that I just finished restoring.

I will be probably take the car to Jag John.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Ralph
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but based on my experience letting a car sit for any length of time, things start to pop up. I let my XJS sit for 10 years, and it’s been a host of issues ever since. Such as:
Cam cover leaking; especially the “D” plug in the back.
Water pump,
Radiator,
Coolant hoses,
Heater control valve
Injector hoses,
The little ones that connect the fuel rail to the injectors. An easy way to test the hoses to see if they leak, wrap in tissue and fire it up. Let it run for a bit, then turn her off, and review the tissues. If there’s a leak it will wet the paper. This one is especially important during the summer months. If there’s a leak in one of the hoses, near the distributor, it could cause an engine fire; which I’ve witnessed (not my car thank goodness).
Fuel lines in the boot, the boot will smell like petrol if there’s even the tiniest of leak.
ECU – corrosion – still haven’t fixed
Oxidation on the wire connectors under the console,
Wood trim drying up and cracking
Fiber optic bulb
Lumbar support pump
Stupid seat belts
My XJS has the seatbelts that are attached to a track running from the A to the B pillar. When potential victim opens the door, and turn the ignition on, the seatbelt travels from the A pillar to the B pillar attempting to strangle the occupant. I think this was Jaguar’s theft deterrent system. Who needs alarms when the car will strangle the occupant and pin them to the seat for the Police to collect the victim.

My poor little XJS just sits on up high on a ramp until I can get to her. It’s been nearly 3 years since I’ve fired her up.

I’ve got nearly 10 grand tied up in repairs to this car, and I still can’t drive it. Very sad indeed.

I hope your experiences turn out to be better than mine.
Mark