Meet the new I-6 JLR hybrid powerhouse

Originally published at: https://www.jag-lovers.com/meet-the-new-i-6-jlr-hybrid-powerhouse/

Yum, yum, Ingenium. It’s Ingeniumious! Jaguar is returning to the inline six format for it’s mid-range engines. The new engine will offer a displacement of 3.0 liters (183 cui) and yield up to 400 horses. They manage this neat trick while also achieving fewer parts, cleaner emissions and lower fuel consumption compared to the outgoing…

2 Likes

Perfect! The perfect small c, conservative approach… do more, with less!

Not to mention my particular prejudice towards I6 engines…:grimacing:

The displacement caught my attention: being a devotee of Harry Miller’s art pieces, it’s amazing how far we’ve come in 100 years.

In 1921, Miller designed a 183-cid 185-hp twin-cam straight eight with four-valves per cylinder. The Miller 122 was the first pure racing car to be series produced and about 15 were made.

I guess you could say that, in a very real sense, computers are powering our cars now. There’s no way you could get the required precision and the instant adaptability in fuel delivery, spark timing, valve timing, and so on without computers. You also get transmissions that adapt to load. And without all that, you might be able to get the same amount of hp/liter, but the engines would last shorter, use way more fuel, and pollute a heck of a lot more.

I mean, I remember when the first Volvo Turbo came out in 1981. It was exciting to drive, to put it mildly, and not in a good way. The turbo lag was pretty bad, and when the power came, it came all at once. That engine was a 2.1 inline four with all of 155 hp. Compare that to today’s Ingenium four banger: 2.0 liter, 296 hp. The main difference is in engine management (and also more valves per cylinder, but again, they don’t do you that much good if you can’t control them very precisely).

1 Like

Is it more with less? It looks very complex not the basic engine but variable valve timing that’s ok if it is mechanical but a lot of electrics & control equipment. Will service garages cope?

I had an F-Pace 400 for a week last fall. The test is in the March-April Jaguar Journal due out end Feb (which can be obtained electronically these days by non-JCNA members, via Zinio).

It is a fabulous engine. Instant stomp from low down via electric boost and the turbo covers the rest of the rev range. If it was a bike it would be a two-stroke with expansion chambers and boost valves.

1 Like

It’s almost as if you knew I was gonna get a new Ford Maverick!

:grimacing: