Melt mark in fuel hose?

Just noticed this, a melt mark on my fuel hose?!? (The one between fuel rail and first FPR)

I noticed that the metal strip going across hood between the foam lines up with this mark. Was my fuel hose too high? Could the hood get hot enough to melt rubber?

I’ve since adjusted fuel hose nut so hose sits a bit lower.

I didn’t realize how snug hood is with engine!

Looks like something’s been rubbing in it rather than a melt mark.

1 Like

as suggested by Wardell , melting the rubber would need more heat than there could be without you noticing it
rubbing is probably the reason, the look is very close as the friction heats up the rubber

1 Like

well, then the hood must be rubbing when engine rotates under load? I lowered hose about 1/2", so that should help.

I assume the hose is still OK to use?

Greg,

That particular hose line should be 7.9 mm…5/16" ID. While it is not a hose I provided, the 7.9 mm ID hose I use has a wall thickness of 3/16". Hard to tell how much is worn off on your hose, the angle of your photo is wrong. Also, most of the newer FI hoses have an aramid thread imbedded (woven) into the hose, and the wear spot has not got to the thread, if in fact your hose has such thread. I would disconnect and remove the hose and do another visual inspection from a side view, and make a crude guess on how much hose has been worn off, and then make a bit more informed decision. Alternately, you could just play it 100% safe and replace it. SD Faircloth

1 Like

I would say it’s 1/2 mm eyeballing it. I think it would be OK as long as hose stays soft, but I could see cracks starting there once it goes brittle. You’re right, i’ll just go ahead and replace it.

And anyone else, when installing this hose, the part that threads into the FPR, make sure you tilt the hose down as much as possible, so the metal tube part is almost touching intake manifold. I had mine rotated up a bit, so that hose was a good 1/2" higher than in this photo. It’s easy as you tighten the nut, that the whole hose rotates up with the turn.

As an added precaution, I am going to put some foam tape on the hood crossbeam in that location.

It was too high based on the photos. I think you should check.

It is as low as it can go, in line with fuel rail.

Yup, my thought abrasion

Hot rubber would be sticky and messy…