Metal shavings in transmission

I had an experience transmission man rebuild my original

1968 E-Type 4 speed transmission. After installation it made a rough noise when in neutral with clutch engaged (pedal not depressed). There was also a high pitch grinding noise when coasting down in 2nd gear. After about a 20 mile test run I drained the oil and found metal deposits (see attached photo). There were no signs of brass particulate. The builder dissembled entirely and discovered the thrust washer on the input end of the lay shaft was out of position, it had dropped down. He believes this was the noise problem. However, there are no obvious metal wear indications that can account for the carbon steel metal fragments. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks for any input you can provide.

You could look at the layshaft rod itself to see if it is heavily worn. Over time, the needle bearings inside the layshaft cut into the layshaft rod. One usually installs a new one during a transmission rebuild due to wear on it.

Can you post a photo of both sides of the thrust washer? Also, has the misplaced thrust washer caused any damage to the layshaft end face itself?

It is an idea to open up the oil pump in the rear housing and inspect it just in case larger particles have damaged it.

Also to inspect the first motion shaft and mainshaft ball bearings. These iron particles may have floated around and been squashed against the bearing inner or outer races making them run rough. You need not take them off the shafts. Just clean them with brake clean and then spin them to see if there is any roughness.

Also, since the oil pump pumps oil into the mainshaft, the inside oil passage in the mainshaft should be cleaned out. At the front of the mainshaft is an oil passage plug that has a small hole in it. This hole allows oil to lubricate the needle bearing in the first motion shaft. Given the amount of debris, I would take this plug out to clean the little hole and the mainshaft inside oil passage. The plug needs to be staked in place when it is reassembled.

If it were my transmission, I would disassemble the mainshaft and inspect all bearing running surfaces. And, since I don’t know the age of your transmission since last rebuild, I would put in all new needle bearing and synchromesh rings. It’s not a big investment compared to having to pull the transmission/engine out of the car at a future date

Dennis 69 OTS

I want a 5 speed sooooo bad…

Joey, ten grand plus Bad???

I too want one, I was saving my lunch money to buy one, and when I finally saved up enough, no JT5’s available… boo hoo…

Boooooi. Yeah old shirt is old shirt

Thank you for the detailed input. I have forwarded your advice to the builder.

I would be concerned about the capability of the repairman you have. I don’t think that an experienced builder would make the mistake of not ensuring the thrust washers are in place…

Dennis 69 OTS