Michelin XVS - deal

Hi Chaps

Sorry for being so blatantly commercial but if you go on this web page (link removed by Admin) you will notice that we have quite an extraordinary deal on a batch of 185VR15 Michelin XVS.

They are free shipping to most of the world.

I got lucky on buying a volume so i am passing it on.

Tell your mates and grab them while they last.

Dougal

Dougal,

Apologizing for breaking the forum rules only serves to make it abundantly clear that you know the rules, and have chosen to violate them.

-David

3 Likes

Well fair cop really.

However we could choose to consider that i am informing you chaps of some good news.

Varying forums have varying levels of what they care about on this front. And when it is something like this where by all anyone does is benefit from what i am saying is generally accepted as good.

However of course that is up to you.

I agree with David. I thought it was clear that commercial solicitations for business were not allowed.

The slippery slope is - who decides when a commercial message is a good news and a benefit?

And if the one who “decides” hopes to reap a financial gain from announcing the “good news” it’s pretty clear that it’s against the forum rules. In contrast, if John posted a statement that he’d heard that SNG had a special sale on wire wheels this month, that would be fine. Often such announcements are accompanied by a statement confirming that poster has no financial interest involved.

-David

Speakin’ just for myself (obviously)

I think the objectors have a valid case, and well stated.

But, for me the post is not a problem. I like to try and support those who
support our passion. It’s not as if Longstone is constantly abusing this
forum; or some random vendor posting for the first time.

I’ll leave it to our great mods to sort this one out.

Best regards to all,

Alan

Well, that’s stretching the truth a bit.

I had a look at your posting history to Jag-lovers, as far as I can tell it’s 100% promotional. So, although you may be correct in thinking that there are members who are in fact looking for just such tires, your message is just one in a long row of messages using the non-commercial Jag-lovers platform for your own personal gain (or that of your company, same thing). Please stop.

David Langley’s summary of the rules, as they’ve been practiced on Jag-lovers for 25 years, is spot on. That said, Alan Grossman also has a point. You are providing a useful service for Jag-lovers members, especially those who own cars that need tires that can be hard to source.

I’d like to move this discussion to the Site Feedback category, where I’d like to open the floor to a discussion on how we could have members such as yourself offer their services in a non-intrusive way, and in a way where they are clearly flagged as promotional. Stay tuned for my opening post there in a few minutes.

Thanks,
Gunnar Helliesen
Jag-lovers admin

Jerry,

The problem with the Classified Ads (from the vendor’s perspective) is that only users who are looking for something go there. The vendors want to alert you to something they have for sale that you didn’t know you needed! The fact that they waste the time of forum users who have no interest in their wares is not their concern. Maybe by sticking their product in the faces of a large group of people, they will sell a few more to people who weren’t really looking. It’s like fighting your way past the barbeque grills and patio furniture to get to the plumbing supplies at Home Depot… Tongue slightly in cheek, but only slightly. My suggestion, for what it’s worth, is that forum users be provided with the option of subscribing to a “shameless commerce” category where vendors can plug their wares through posts like any others. Users could ask questions of the vendor about the product, and have a discussion. It would just be another category like E-Type or XK-Engine. I wouldn’t subscribe to it, but I might take a look once in a while if I was looking for something, such as tires.

-David

3 Likes

Be ok if there was a 50% discount , for jag lovers , free shipping says something about the profit margin :frowning:

I wouldn’t take tyres off this guy if they were free.

3 Likes

Really?

This is so cynical.

i don’t understand.

The title is utterly clear. if you don’t want to read this thread, don’t read it breeze on by. there is plenty more threads to go at. But people have spent half an hour writing a message about the 2 seconds of their time that was stolen from them reading a commercial comment that declared its self, clearly, for what it was right from the word go.

Please can i suggest that you go for a nice walk have a cup of tea and calm down. re read whats been written, and i’m sure you’ll agree, nobodies been doing any intruding or violating. all that has happened is a classic car enthusiast, that runs a related business and is an X Jag owner has put a posting on the forum that; just the same as every other thread on this forum, will be of interest to some people and not of interest to other people.

Any way for one of the people that has contacted me, the next 185VR15 Michelin XVS that leave our shed will have the date code 3017

You would be surprised as to how cheap my shipping is for such a quality service, so as with the price of the tyre i share that with you.

I’m calm, but I disagree. Say I decided to make washer bottle cap, NLA, or an EDIS kit that’s okay to advertise. But in my book you’re just a large specialized tyre vendor for Northern America and even though you might have good prices you should not clutter any category with ads. Saying you have good prices is advertising and as you can see most of those who have an opinion to offer are not favoring that.
A commercial section would be nice but as Erica said in will inevitably lead to complications. If there were a way to make all posters in that section acknowledge that badmouhing cannot be avoided, and it would not need to be moderated that would be great.
But Dougal, I’d rather take a look at your site whenever you offer helpful advice just as you might have done before. Just don’t advertise as obviously. If you really had a great offer a short notice probably would be okay but you overdid it.

And don’t suggest people calm down when you should.
Don’t.

Also, Gunnar spoke so don’t get yourself in unnecessary arguments waisting many hours of many people’s time.

1 Like

I saw your name on the post and immediately thought, “oh that tire pusher again”.

Nuf said !

1 Like

oddly…tho Admin has seen…and replied…the post and the link remain. I did not see an “amazin” deal…Has anyone put on the Dunlop SP 50? and…by the way…note that Vredestein Classic is according to some well known vendors…a SUMMER ONLY tire…should not even be inflated and on a car in very cold. I am now in search of what tire to install…currently have very nice Dunlop SP40 in 205-70-15…but now too old by date code.

Nick

Isn’t this the same guy that was ranting that you should only use highly rounded tires on the E-Type, but now he’s pushing a more squared-off tire like the XVS?

Sure you can trust him not to push something that just makes him an extra buck.

Dougal,

It would help a lot if you would include a little snippet of the message you’re replying to, so that the rest of us can know who your comments are directed at. Were you replying to David, as he assumed, or were you replying to me? Or someone else?

That’s not for you to say. Jag-lovers is a 25 year old community. We have rules, one of which is no commercial use of the lists/forums is allowed. You have ignored that rule many times.

Don’t get me wrong, you’re a valued member of this community, and I’m sure you have a vast repository of knowledge that the rest of us could all benefit from. Hence, I didn’t just say “cease and desist” earlier, I opened the floor to a discussion among the members. But let me be clear, if the rules need amending, that’s for the members to decide, not one person alone.

Please, it was an ad. Other than your time, it cost you nothing. The rest of us pay for the platform you used to broadcast that ad. Did you stop to think what it costs to run this forum for 25 straight years? The amount of time invested by volunteers to keep it going? Do you seriously think that we do this so you can have a place to sell your merchandise?

If you want to advertise, go pay good money to Google or Facebook or any one of the many venues that exist for that sort of thing. This is a commercial free zone. Accept that, or leave.

Likewise, Dougal. Likewise.

Gunnar
Jag-lovers admin

3 Likes

REMINDER: This topic has been moved to Site Feedback since it affects the whole site, not just E-Type. Please click the link below and post your replies there, not here:

Thanks,
Gunnar