Milky oil? in intake tube @ throttle body

Hello forum, I just removed the intake tube on my 1994 xj40 4.0 and cleaned the mass air flow sensor and throttle body (using the appropriate cleaners) and found a tablespoon size puddle of a chocolate milk colored substanceike oil/water mix between the elbow and throttle body. The section of tube between the MAFS and the elbow was clean. I would normally suspect the pcv valve but apparently this engine isn’t eqstrong textyipted with one. Anyone out there have an idea what would cause it. Thanks to all for your reply

Typically this is a sign normally of short runs with the engine not getting up to temperature and burning off the condensation. If the oil on the dipstick is clear then nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

Normal on these engines. As Robin said, condensation.
Disconcerting at first, but you’ll get used to it. :smiley:

Thanks so much for your reply. Your explanation exactly describes the usage the past year or more. Makes sense.

Thank you for your reply. I have not been using my car that much be cause of a necessary lifestyle change. I will try to take longer trips. I love driving her. At least my mind is eased now.

Keep in mind, Jaguar had a bulletin and a mod for dealing with oily residue from the PCV system that caused sticking throttle response off idle. The fix was, in short, to fit a different dipstick tub with a Y pipe and a plastic separator canister that drained to a hose connected to the Y pipe.

Just clean it out every spring, you’ll be fine.