Minor clean of one stromberg - now car won't start.:(

Lately it seems that I’m my own worse enemy.
Car ran fine yesterday and started right up.
Today I took the top off my rear Stromberg carburetor to do a minor cleaning, carefully removed the spring, carefully undid the four screws holding down the diaphragm, carefully removed the diaphragm and then carefully removed the (dirty) piston.
Cleaned everything with spray carb cleaner, wiped it down with a lint free rag. Assembled it in exactly the same order (and way) as originally. Added SU Damper Oil (probably slightly more than what was in it when I took it apart).
Now the car won’t start! Doesn’t even begin to catch. I didn’t touch the choke and it is fully “on” when I pull the choke cable…
I didn’t touch anything else on the carb…and I’m at a compete loss as to what I did - and especially what I need to do now.
As always - advice is greatly appreciated!

Chet

Odds are it is unrelated to the carb work. Check the normal stuff - fire and fuel supply.

It should catch a little bit even if there is only gas coming out of the other carb into the engine.

I suggest the following to determine if the problem is gas or ignition.

Take off the air cleaner and put some gas (say a few teaspoonfuls) into the throats of both carbs and see if it fires a bit.

Dennis 69 OTS

Ok - now I feel really stupid. Apparently one of the wires to the coil came off. Reattached it and the car started right up!

Thanks everyone for your quick responses…

Chet

1 Like

Once again - most carburetor problems are electrical.

3 Likes

So true Geo!

Chet
(20 characters)

Yep, last week during the Texas cold spell I tried to fire up my '75 Cosworth Vega since it is normally my best cold weather car plus it has a very new battery. Would not start. At first I suspected that it had jumped a tooth or two on the cam belt but all the timing marks lined up. Next I swapped out the Delco HEI control module and it fired right up. I keep a spare in the glove box since they can fail without warning as in this case.

David
68 E-type FHC

That’s how we all become proficient! That’s one you can put in your toolbox and you probably won’t ever do again!