Miss in the Mk2

Greetings, my Mk2 has developed a miss that interrupts smooth running up to just past 70 degrees on the Temp gauge. Beyond that - say up to 85 degrees (the weather is still warm in Sydney) - the miss disappears and the car runs like a top. What say you learned brethren? Thanks Paul.

Are your dash pots topped up with 20 weight oil. You can always try ATF to see how that affects the engine.

Gerard

Hi Gerard, I have tried 30wt (correct for MK2)., 20wt (3 in 1 or Singer Sewing Machine oil) and ATF. No appreciable difference. Thanks for the thought. Paul.

Maybe it’s a needle binding a bit??

The miss when cold on my MK2 seems to have gone away with using 98 fuel. Previously used 95.

Hi Stewart, I always run 98 and thinking fuel as you did, I just put 30 litres of 95 in. We’ll see! Paul.

I couldnt think of anything else, so when you say that, it would be my guess

Do you have a 9:1 compression engine ?

Are you running a points or Petronix style distributor? Points could be shifting with temperature or needing a mild rub with sandpaper.

Gerard

It’s an 8:1 engine - perhaps one head shave in its history. Has a Pertronix distributor - seems to be reliable. Runs worse on 95 fuel - perhaps there’s a hint there? Paul