‘Missing’ 1938 SS-100 Jaguar recovered after 60 years in shed

Great Story!

2 Likes

The chassis number is 39049.
http://www.ssjaguardata.com/cars/detail/?car=39049

Wow that looks to be in amazing condition after such a long hibernation, good barn!

Interesting , but one has to take some journalists claims with a grain of salt.
The centre mounted tail lamp… Said to be so the wings could be removed for racing. by the factory. But the original mounting holes as with other 100s are clearly there in the pics. And as original, it is mounted on the petrol tank, so is independent of the wings
A more likely story is the American owner felt that was better for driving on US roads on the RH side.
The horns and stone guards are later additions
The bracing for the rear quarters has been strengthened, said to be by the factory. And a good idea in that the drivers seat can be moved back further.
Many SS 100 owners do a similar principle , but I doubt the factory would have used 2 coach bolts through the outer panels, when this isn’t necessary.
I know a cars history is always fascinating , but I remember John Lennon’s words ‘Life is what happens while you are busy making plans’. and a car’s history isn’t frozen in time at some particular point in the past.
There’s no reason old cars can’t still be making their competition history now.

I know that Churchill had most of the iron railings cut down supposedly to build battleships but I don’t think there was ever a suggestion that owners of SU pumps donate them for their brass content.

Peter :thinking:

p.s. I think most of the railings did get to sea but simply dumped there not recreated as ships.

Weren’t saucepans post war , made from Spitfires and Messerschmitts?

But interesting , as we had lots of iron ore, the cast iron rails and lace work generally survived.

Hi Bob,
Were you at the club meeting, maybe 15 years ago, when we showed a 30 minute film that I made at Terry’s shop? Now that an article about Terry has come up I’ll have to try and find that tape and see if that there was anything on C-Type 023 in it as I was out there and saw it shortly after he discovered it.
Bob

Hi Bob,
Yes I was there when you show your movie. Was that on 8 mm or super 8 film? LOL Would love to see it again. You should get it transferred on to a DVD or thumb drive.

I was at Terry’s in the early 90’s when I was out there on a business trip. He had C, D, and early E-types there. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

You’ve got to love the Phil Cobson rant in the comments section. And agree too. It would be a shame to restore this one.

It would certainly need a mechanical restoration . I hate to think what oil sitting in it for half a century or more will have done to diff teeth and gear box internals The engine would need dismantling and there’s no reason to belief a car that had a hard competition life would not need much done, especially the alloy conrods.
All the seals on axles and gear box. The alloy in the engine and the radiator core
Frankly its extremely rare to see an SS100 restored to original

1 Like

Never saw this story: ran across it searching for SuperFastMatt!

I saw this car at Terry’s shop, back in '17 or '18.