Missing chassis plate, looking for numbers

Goodmorning everyone,

Recently i purchased a beautiful Jaguar XK150 DHC 1959 with VIN; S837948BW and engine number; V7271-8. Gearbox no; JBC8512.
Unfortunately the chassis plate is missing and also the steel tag with body number (should begin with a “P” because its a drop head coupe)

Is there any way to track down these numbers ? are there archives of VIN numbers and corresponding engine / gearbox / body numbers ?

Many thanx from Holland, Pieter Speelman

Hello Pieter,

You should get a Jaguar Heritage certificate, this will give you all the correct numbers.

Regards,
Peter Jan
( ook uit nederland :slight_smile: )

Thank you Peter Jan,

I will contact the Jaguar Heritage Trust for a certificate,
hopefully they can provide the numbers.

greets, Pieter, Hilversum

Looking at xkdata.com I would expect your body number to be somewhere between P7200 and P7250. Sometimes we find the body number written in crayon on the hidden side of upholstery and instrument panels and other interior parts, though without the P and sometimes without the 7, just three numbers.

Pieter
837948 was built probably on 22 Dec 1958.
The engine may not be the original as it is 1000 higher that other cars built in Dec 58.
The engine number possible could be in the 6200 range,
7200 range engine were July - Aug 1959.
Please check your gearbox number again as most automimic 150’s started with JBX,

You may find that they will only verify the numbers that you provide and will not fill in the blanks. This has been their standard protocol for many years.

Pieter Post some pics of car and what you have including numbers on parts ie engine and chassis you have and I will have all the numbers and details from this terry
Tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Hi Terry,
These are the Numbers I have;
Jaguar XK150 DHC 1959
Chassisnummer S837948BW
engine number; V7271-8.
Gearbox number; JBC8512. (Doublechecked)
Greets, Pieter

1 Like

I got the Heritage certificate !

So my XK150 is originally from New York, had Cream color and black hood.

The engine and gear box have been replaced.
Body number: P 7223

Now i can complete my chassis plate although its not original.

Thank you all for replying

Pieter

Pieter
Well I wasn’t too far off with my prediction on your numbers above.
Glad you were able to get them from JDHT.

It seems JDHT has changed its policy. In previous years under previous archivists when the heritage certificate applicant sent in partial information the fields for the missing numbers read “number not provided” or somesuch. Happy it worked out for you.