Misterious check engine light

While driving, the car will occasionally run rough, display an orange warning light, and a message saying “cruise not available” (even when the cruise is engaged and working). If the check engine light is on, (which it usually is) it will blink at this time. We thought it was an air leak because a code would be for one bank running lean. The air leak was fixed and now it still happens and the codes are all over the place. This will randomly happen when driving and then clear itself and the car will perform normally. I’m thinking it may be a bad ground for some of the electronics. It does seem to be sensitive to moisture and vibration.

Has anyone had a similar problem and solved it?

Yes, every now and then it coughs, the engine light comes on, and the heat gauge goes all the way to hot. Pull over shut it off for 20 seconds turn it back on and it may be good for another 1000 miles, or it may do again and again not really getting hot. Once it did it atleast 20 times over a 300 mile trip then quit and has not done it again for the past 500 miles. My mechanic is befuddled. Can anyone help?

After I posted that, after dealing with impossible engine codes, my mechanic discovered a poor ground under the battery. Once corrected, the car has run reliably with no further problems. I’ve learned, when you have confusing electrical problems, to check for good grounds.

1 Like

Have your mechanic check the ground points as corrosion can lead to interm
faulty contacts.