Mk 7 paint , progress report

It’s been too cold here to do anything lately , had to take all the paint indoors, don’t have the luxury of a heated workshop . Anyway , after a lot more prep and cleaning, I managed to get the first primer coat on yesterday . Pretty pleased with it considering it’s my first spray job .:grinning: A gentle rub down with 800 grit and more cleaning , and it’ll be ready for the next primer . Watch this space .:grinning:

6 Likes

Well done, great start. Did you use etch primer or epoxy (2K)? Do you have to apply any filler/high build? Suggest you check on the 800grit between coats - seems way too fine at this early stage - would be a final sand for metallic? Not sure it will provide enough key for subsequent primer/filler. I’ve been using 240 between primer coats/filler then 360 final before solid colour.
Dave.

Hi Dave , epoxy 2 Pak . Yes actually used 400 grit between primer coats . 2nd coat on now .

Looking forward to following your progress. I had a MK7 that I nearly completed nut and bolt restoration. All that was left to do was colour and trim but unfortunately we moved house and lack of space demanded I rationalise my projects. At one stage I had 2 MK7’s and a MK8 as doners.

Waiting for a bigger compressor to arrive , my small one was ok for primer coats but base and clear coats need a greater and more reliable air flow . So your flagships had to go in favour of an xk 120 ? Or did you already have it ?

MK7 came first then XK as a basket case but couldn’t turn it down. When we moved I had to decide which of the children had to go. :wink:

1 Like