Mk IV 3.5 Litre Air Filter - Oil Filter Contact

1947 Mark IV 3.5 Litre saloon, RHD. The bottom of my rear air filter cannister touches the top of my oil filter bolt. Is this normal? Also, definitely a PITA to have to remove the air filters to access and clean the oil filter during an oil change.

Here is mine. Don’t ask me why I have a stack of washers under the bolt head.
Excluding the radiusing of the bottom plate my air silencers have sides that are 8" long.

Peter

Okay Peter, you shamed me into taking a better picture, although it’s still a bit blurry.

There certainly does appear to be much greater clearance in my car. I must admit that my car is an SS not a MkIV and a 2½ litre rather than a 3½ litre. I do have a 3½ litre air manifold and canisters and measuring from the centre of the stud where the manifold is attached to the carburettor to the bottom of the canister side wall I get 11.5" for the 3½ litre but only 11.25" for my 2½ litre.

In defence of Jaguar re servicing you only need to undo the four nuts at the carb air intake flanges to remove the canisters and manifold to access the oil filter and for the miles that these cars clock up nowadays oil filter changes are hardly a very frequent event.

Peter

1 Like

I try to change the oil at least once a year as although I don’t put a whole lot of miles on it, I sometimes drive it quite hard. I do several tours every year with it…we’re registered for a 5-day tour in central Ohio next month. And I slalom race the car. It is the 2022 and 2023 JCNA Class A Slalom Championship car. I tell everyone the car does all the work…I’m just along for the ride.

Yes, I remove the 4 nuts to take the plenum and air filters off for access to the oil filter. Not a lot of clearance to get those nuts off either. I’m going to have to make a special wrench for them.

1 Like

Nice to see it stretching its legs! Great fun.

1 Like