MK IV gearbox oil capacity

Checking and filling the oil in the MK IV gearbox is not particularly easy to see or do, and if you are not careful you can end up with oil drips on your carpet !!! I’m therefore going to make a simple oil syringe dispenser with flexible hose to insert and add oil down the dipstick tube. As my syringe body has markings for the liquid inside I thought it would be helpful to dispense just the correct amount of oil needed and avoid overfilling.

I know that the gearbox oil capacity is 2 pints for the 1.5 litre and 2.5 pints for the 2.5 and 3.5 litre MK IV’s gearboxes, but does anyone know or has calculated the difference in oil capactity between the bottom (minimum) and top (maximum) markers on the dipstick, and does this differ between the engine sizes?

OK, I could drain some oil out until it drops to the bottom marker and then keep topping it up with set ammounts until it reaches the top marker and work out what I’ve used, but someone probably has this fact of knowledge already without me getting my hands dirty.

I have drained some gearbox oil and refilled it, so I can confirm that the difference between the minimum and maximum markers on the dip stick for the MK IV 1.5 litre (with its 2 pints gearbox capacity) is 1/8th of a pint (0.125 pints or 71ml).

1 Like