MK IV radiator problem

Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of the slurry that washed out of my system thus time, but here is a photo of what came out of another car when flushed. Don’t panic - it’s a close up shot of about a teaspoon amount of rust and scale after it dried off in the filter bag.

The Thermocure seamed much better in disolving what was in my MK IV into smaller particles than other products I’ve used, although there were some meaty pieces that came out in lumps. Lots of dark brown slush mainly, which cleared after the third flush.

By previous experience I did NOT use the radiator drain tap but removed the lower radiator hose to drain quickly the system (I think the smaller bore tap would have blocked up perhaps).

The down side after flushing was I had two small leaks on the rubber connector pipes - one to the heater and one to the bypass feed, but a quick tighten of the clips and all was well. I suspect the Thermocure does its job and loosens any rust around the connector ends of the pipework.

Sounds like it worked well.

Thank you for the photo and the reply, David.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi,

That’s always great to hear! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I found that once I drained the EvapoRust and was flushing the system, it helped to put an air hose along with the water hose I’m the bottom hose port and burp air with the water. The blasts helped dislodge further hunks and send them to the top where I inserted a magnet to collect the debris. I keep a magnet in the top of all my cars radiators and you’d be surprised at how often they need to be cleaned!

Yes Wayne I did that as well with my air compressor turned down low and the water running in. The trick with the magnet I’ve not personally used, but I have seen the magnetic oil filters from the 40’s.

Anything to capture the metal particles sounds good news. If nothing else it could help you navigate to the North Pole. I’m going to try one in my radiator top to see what is collected.