Mk IX 3.8L oil pipe configuration

Does anyone have a photo of the bottom of a 3.8L MK IX engine? I need to view the oil pipe lines/oil pump setup. Specifically the brackets that brace the oil pipes. This MK IX has an original metal oil pan. As oil pipe arrangements and brackes varied from model to model I need to see the original arrangement for this model specifically. Thanks.

If you had asked me 6 months ago I could have sent you full details.
However this does show two of the oil pipe support brackets which are attached to the lockktabs on my 1959 Mk9.

Thank You for the pic. Yours has been obviously gone into before. (Oil pump has been changed.) Interestingly enough it appears the suction pipe bracket toward the pickup is bracketed and clamped in an unusual way. As that bracket helps to set the distance of the pickup pipe into the oil pan its important that its adjusted properly.

I’ve had the car for 20 years, and have never changed the pump. The engine underwent a rebuild sometime in the eighties when original parts as opposed to pattern stuff was still available. It’s possible that the pump was changed then.
The car was first sold in April 1959, so the engine would have been built before then.

What does the MkIX sump look like? Steel “bathtub” style? Same as a XK140? Pickup strainer pretty close to the middle?

Similar to this? This is a 3.8L E-Type sump.

![May 7 2012 012|690x460]

Yes. I think they are the same. Fabricated steel type. spring loaded strainer near the middle.

While it is indeed a steel pan, the centering for the pickup is bit more forward on the engine. Id say a good 2 1/2"closer to the front.On this engine the bracket was attached to the third from the front main cap bolt. (engine had previously been rebuilt). As the pickup tube is shorter, it takes an angle( approx 45 degrees) and the bracket was just twisted (a significant amount) and simply doesn’t look right. Ill try and get a pic and figure out how to post one here.
If you were to mount the bracket to the second main cap everything lines up just fine. I just dont know if leaving the pipe unsupported over that long of a distance is a good thing. I guess im trying to rationalize Jaguar merely twisting a bracket to accomplish bracing it.

Hopes this works. This is what I have. As you can see bolting it to the second main cap keeps everything nice and square. The bracket has to locate on the flat spot of the main cap to index properly.

This is how I found it before disassembly. Does this look like something Jaguar would do?
Now I know they were all about saving money but, would the engineers say:" Aw, Just bend the hell out of it."

from the MK9 Parts Manual…seems to show bracket location

Well according to that, they just took the mount bracket and bent the hell out of it. Mystery solved.

Jag Pipe Solution

When in doubt…

On the xk150 the last bracket before the pickup is mounted at right angles to the cap, i.e. 90 degrees anti-clockwise from where you have it. It does have a twist, but the collar around the pipe then lines up vertically.

Regards,
Clive.