Mk ix roof rack

I have a Mk IX and am trying to figure if any one has put a roof rack on. I have a lovely wood and canvas canoe built in the 1940’s and would love to take the Mk IX out to the lake with my canoe.

I tried a set of Thule rain gutter racks but the slip of the rack was too steep for the side of the car roof line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joel

How about suction cups , there are some very good ones about now days !!

Yakima makes risers that will raise the mount straight up about four inches. I had to use them on my on my Land Rover Discover Ii for the same reason.

You made me recall that every winter season my father would attached clip on ski racks to the drip rails of the Jaguar. We could easily fit four pairs of skis on top to get to the local ski areas. He always complained that his gas mileage went up and down with the addition or deletion of the racks. I just think he was driving in more mountainous terrain.

Gerard

I am fairly sure I have seen period MK7-9 pics showing roof racks, in the common books re this marque.

for instance, they used a MK7 to support their Alpine racing. it was hugely over-loaded with spares

If I was going to do it, I would probably attempt to copy whatever Jaguar did, fabricate & and make it look period

imo roofracks look especially stupid on a Jaguar, and are bad for aerodynamics

You have a reason though, I would make them detachable

Depending on the rack, it will make a difference.

A few years ago a friend lost the keys to a rack which was fitted to their SUV. I cut them off about mid summer. They kept reasonably accurate records, fuel mileage improved by something like 2%. This without any trips to the mountains (insofar as there are trips without mountains here in Switzerland).

The racks were modern “aerodynamic” Thule ones (and expensive to replace).

For smaller stuff I’d say suction cups would be great, but if it’s an old fashioned (waterlogged) cedar strip and canvas canoe I’d be concerned about concentrating load and denting the roof.

Some shaped, semi-hard, PU foam might do the trick, but it won’t look quite “period”.

Thanks for all the responses. I will be taking a look at a few options in the next days. I will try to keep you all updated.

Joel