Mk VI fuel tank cleaning

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions of the best way to flush/clean out the petrol tank of my 1948 Mk VI which is now back in the car? It was drained of petrol some time ago, but I want now to just make sure there are no bits left in there before I fill up with fuel - and before I connected up the fuel pipes in the engine bay. Thanks.

My recommandation is to Remove the tank, have it boiled out and sealed, by a reliable radiator/
fuel tank service provider. An empty fuel tank will accumulate condensation, hence rust, depending on lenght of time and location. A Mk IV is more fun to drive when powered by the Engine.
Popop

Visual inspection of tank interior is recommended. You may get good enough view to tell how much crud is present. Direct line of sight, mirrors, bright lights, fiber scopes are possible useful tools.

If you are convinced the crud is not sufficient quantity to block the fuel line, insertion of a large fuel filter at a low point on fuel line close to tank can take up a lot of crud as it would otherwise move towards pumps and engine. Running the car on the road, with all the normal vibrations, time for fuel to soak into the crud elements, giving time to free much of the muck would let one or more of these “insurance” filters collect the crud without having to remove the tank.

If the crud level appears to be enough to clog the fuel line, or insufficient viewing of the tank interior prevents a conclusion, then tank removal and cleaning by a reliable service is suggested. And I would still recommend the “insurance” filter.

Thanks for these suggestions. I will see what I can check with the tank in-situ but I may well have to get it out again !!

Has anyone used any DIY tank seal/preparation products that are good or had a tank done with the ReNu process professionally?

Yes , I have done my tanks with Sloshtank sealant. They w ill need to be clean inside.first and you will need to keep rolling the tank over as it dries to coat all surfaces… And… Most Important, remove the drain plugs [ and sender] first and put tape over the pipes [ at the tank end best done on a warm day to help it dry.

Definitely then needs the tank out of the car again before I roll it over and over!!

It can be done that way and very successfully too. but it’s a value judgement for the owner.

Ask @John_Walker how he “rolled” his tank!!!

Not me. I took my tank to a company that does cleaning and coating commercially. The cost was surprisingly reasonable.

I did know a guy who put a length of chain and some nuts and bolts in an AM DBS fuel tank and then shook the heck out of it to remove the rust from the inside. Given the baffles in an E-type fuel tank I’m not sure that technique would yield the results you’d want.

Woops… sorry!

Somebody on the list clamped his tank between two wire spool wheels, filled it with nuts and bolts, and took ot for a walk and roll.

Not a problem.

For some reason I think that was David L.

Fuel tank out and cleaner/sealant, etc at the ready. Before I start it would be useful to know how the inside of the tank is constructed and what position or layout any internal dividers or baffles are. Does anyone have any construction drawings for the Mk iv 1 1/2 litre 1948 or photos of a tank cut open? It would help me in knowing how I “roll” the tank during the cleaning out and sealing process to make sure I work everything back out of the tank and drain it fully. Thanks