Mk X 4.2L cooling system

these are the pipes I took from a '67 420G, although you cant see cause its upside down, the middle pipe has the Y connection

shows original radiator, aftermarket overflow tank, and some hoses.
As noted, I have a S2 XJ engine

I have a correct original late 420G overflow tank, which as Peder noted is rounded, however it has a patched rust hole, so I opted to retain the SS item that was on the vehicle when I got it. I subsequently found 2 more of these tanks, so I assume someone was making spares, even though the local Jag mechanic told me he personally welded up the tank on this one, many years ago

1 Like

Thanks again! One thing though, in your pic what is the pipe on the bottom used for - the rusty one bent at 90 degrees?

sorry, I dont know, was wondering that myself. I possibly have some old digi-pics, so will try to check, but who knows, the engine was seized on that car, and it was a totally rusted wreck, I bought it for spares alone

Also, I think most have a short thick metal pipe that joins the main upper hose in two halves

Maybe that mystery pipe wasn’t for the car? Oh well, with the info you’ve provided and the other stuff we found I think we have enough to get it together. Much appreciated!

Hi,
That bottom pipe is the breather pipe between the breather housing at the front of the timing chest and a spigot on the air intake manifold between the front and centre carbs.

Nick

2 Likes

Thanks! I was wondering what the original connection for the breather to the air cleaner was supposed to be. Unfortunately we’re missing that pipe – at least now that I know what it is and what it looks like we have a fighting chance at making a substitute.