MK X 4 Speed Question

Heres an unusual question for those of you that may know.
What type of material did Jaguar originally use for the transmission top cover when using a 4 speed with OD?
I was recently sent one, and it is made of leather.
Can this be right or did someone get real creative and decide this would be easier to fabricate?
Jaguar was a bit strange for using Plastic top covers in early E Types, and eventually changed them to metal.
Perhaps the small numbers of Manual transmission MK Xs didnt warrant a better material? MK Xs were not originally slated to use manual transmissions, and perhaps this was a quick and cheap cost effective solution to help facilitate the option.
I dont know if I even want to use this thing just from a weatherproofing point of view.

Mk2s used a fibreglass type of cover, which was then covered by the console, ditto, I think, for E Types. I would expect the same for Mk10, certainly not leather.

Hi,

Fiberglass and steel used on E-types , always steel on XJ S1-S3 (at least all I have ever seen).

The gearbox top plate/cover with the strikers for the gears is always an alloy casting IMO. (Some type of aluminum or aluminium.)

Cheers!

It’s not the top of the gearbox I’m referring to. It’s the cover over the top of the gearbox tunnel. On a manual 4speed with overdrive.

Has anyone here ever even seen a Manual gearbox MK X ?
Are there production numbers for them?

Yes, there was a 3.8 manual o\d here in NZ back in the 80’s, as I recall. There are road tests of them, intriguingly the manual o\d car tested by Autocar was slower than the auto version, despite repeated attempts to match or better the auto times. (4.2)

1 Like

I can say definitively that the original (auto) gearbox console cover on my 420G is leather on top, with vinyl sides.

Often, these have been re-upholstered in vinyl

Tony,
I don’t think that I am explaining the gearbox cover properly.
I’m talking about the top section of the transmission tunnel. Usually on a manual gearbox jag it is a screwed down cover made out of plastic or metal that also houses a rubber shift gaiter.
Has anyone ever seen one of these? The one that was supplied to me is totally made out of leather.
Molded leather.

Hi,

Sure, there are a few original MK X`s in Finland that are manual + O/D, both 3.8 and 4.2, Different gearboxes and bell housings between the 3.8 and 4.2 just like E-types! (And flywheel, etc.)

Cheers!

Hi,

Yes, that’s again as on the E-types, of course only LWB E-types could be automatic, the manual gearbox tunnel had a metal or glassfibre cover with a ”hump” for the shifter gaiter (rubber) that was left plain on the 1964-1966 4.2s, but earlier 3.8s had a leather gaiter and the later 4.2`s had a gaiter made of Ambla (a sort of vinyl / naugahide).

Cheers!

I have reason to believe that the original gearbox covers on Mk X’s were made out of leather. Not just the shift gaiter. I mean the entire covering of the top of the gearbox was made out of a very thick leather, with the shift gaiter retaining collar incorporated in it. I will have to find a picture and post it.
I do not think the MkX’s had ones made from metal or plastic.

Hi, I had a 420 MOD 4 speed. The transmission cover is a steel stamping.
Regards,
Allen

As you can see some wonder technician modified this one with a saws all. But it’s all leather.

That’s fascinating! I had a customer, many decades ago, with a Mark X with a four-speed overdrive, but I never looked underneath the carpet.

You sure that is leather? it looks like the same pressed paper garbage that was used to make the inspection covers on either side of my '63 auto Mark X transmission tunnel. Jaguar used the same garbage to make the cover for the brake pedal to pedal box. This was the cause of my rusted floor. They even used it to make my center console.

I wrapped them in fiberglass. It gave it some strength as well as waterproofed them.

If you are going to try and salvage it, I recommend the fiberglass but you may need to have it installed to keep the proper shape. Clean it up as best you can before laying the glass on top. As far as the missing section, I would try as best as possible to get some temporary structure to lay the fiberglass on. Maybe hot glue some heavy construction paper.

Just my thoughts.

Micah

I drove a MOD 3.8 Mark X once. First gear was hard to get use to. Now, I have a '47 Jeep and I’m use to it. You just have to plan ahead at the lights.

It is definitely leather not pressed hardboard.
Very Interesting the changes for the Manuals. I do not believe that Jaguar ever planned on offerring the Mk X as anything other than an automatic. At some point this changed and I cannot find anywhere where the transmission tunnel was a different pressing auto from Manual.
I surmise they just cut out the top of the auto trans tunnel and affixed this bizarre leather cover. Ease of fabrication? Plus, quiet if the gearbox ever came into contact with it?
Im up for any other explanations as mine are mere speculation on my part. As the Maunal gearbox takes up a lot less room it would have offerred an opportunity for even more space if a different trans tunnel had been used.

I may be wrong about them merely cutting out the top of an auto tunnel. Here are some pics of a manual trans tunnel from a scrap yard.

1 Like

Ive always wanted a MOD Mk X but after 30 years of looking for one here in the states Ive come to the realization that building one is the only way I’ll ever get one.
Abandoning the matching numbers concept for obvious reasons.
Trying to keep everything all Jaguar.
My Mk X is a 1963,Love the looks of the 3.8 but practicality demands an all synchro gearbox, and Ill have to decide whether to retain the 3.8 motor or upgrade it to a 4.2 (better seals and water system). May keep the 3.8 head and carbs and just utilize the 4.2 block.
Opinions are welcome.

Well, I love my 3.8 '63 Mark X with a five speed and 3.55 in the rear. Yours will be a little peppier with the 3.77 in the rear.

Micah

Considering replacing rear ratio with 3:31. No so concerned with having a peppy MK X.
I would prefer quiet and smooth ride over acceleration.