Mk1 side member issue

Hmmm, upon front suspension disassembly I found this - a bend of the right side member, just below the V-mount block. Not very serious but clearly visible as a both side bulge and dip underneath .

No idea what shall I do with it …

Any damage to the subframe, looks like a severe impact with a pothole / bump in the road, a obvious observation I know ! A front section of the under frame might be available from one of the usuals.
Peter B

Is there some damage by the axle stand , or just a shadow ?
I would say that’s a easy fix , cut out the bottom bit in red , then you can tap out the damage , if you think it’s needed , weld in some steel plate , to the sides , then weld the bottom back on !

Yes, one wrinkle at the bottom, two bumps on sides, each within a few mm’s height/depth.
I’m hoping some hot-hammering would do, like contracting from sides plus slide hammer pulling the wrinkle down. I have some reservations regarding brute-force cutting the member … :shushing_face:
Maybe leave as it is … ?

Look’s to me like Front impact damage on that side , maybe had a accident in the past , if pot hole damage I would have thought the bend would be at the mounting point , :thinking:
Have you taken a measurement along each chassis rail ?
Don’t think I would leave it , it would play on my mind , worth spending a day or two to get it right .

I think affected area does not continiue under the v-mount block. It starts 20mm behind the original block position.
Nope, no measurements done so far. Will do them once I do some lecture on that.

1 Like

A few new pics. I can see a crack …

Mmm LesioQ, (any relation to SusieQ):laughing:
Looks like more than a crack, a hard impact low down at the subframe with a tree stump or similar. If you want this car
“right”some hefty pulling gear is required, or some replacement panels/under frame member. I notice a kink where the underframe joins the bottom of the bulkhead. A jig of some sort also, set to the dimensions stated at the rear of a workshop manual.
How about a photo showing the front of the car, and one like this.
Peter B

Some body shops have a set of steel angles set into the concrete floor, whereby they can set the car up over these, weld on threaded studs to the car body at places with dents, attach pulling cables and hydraulic cylinders to the angles, and pull out these sort of dents.