Mk10 booster revisited

Hmmm. Definitely missing some parts. I’ll get another look at mine sometime today. Those photos are very helpful - thanks for subjecting yourself to the grass stains on my behalf.

I’m in the middle of building a 1000sq foot greenhouse on my property, and will be tied up with that until next week, so won’t get much done on the car until then. I did send the series 2 XJ master and servo off for rebuilding yesterday, don’t expect to have them again for about 6 weeks. Based on your advice, I’ll likely not change rear brake systems, but will have to see what I have on the car and in the parts stash. I’m thinking I will pull the rear end on my 4-post lift, but it’s tricky because of the width of the unit. Since it’s wider than the ramps, I have to drop the suspension on a rolling dolly, get the rear of the car pretty high, and swivel the cage 90 degrees before raising the lift. I’ve done it on my e-type. If I decide it’s risky, I’ll have to wait until I have front brakes so that I can move the car. Right now, it doesn’t even have a parking brake.

I would suggest jacking the rear end…only needs 18"

drop the suspension and drag it out the side

its super easy this way…the worst part is disconnecting the exhaust

I made a special tool for disconnecting the trailing arm from the big bush

search “super easy trailing arm removal”

Ok, it appears that I’ve got most of it. The front bracket and insert are there, and I think the middle one may just be missing a bolt. There is nothing at the rear site where the cable casing is retained, so I may have to find that.

I dont think you will have too many hassles, and have the Parts Manual pic ?

send me a good description of any parts you want, as I will be under one with an angle grinder in the not too distant future, might be able to find what you need, if anything

That’s really generous of you. Let me get into it and I’ll PM you when I figure out if I need anything. Probably a week or two at best. As I look at your photos again, I understand better - looks like the cable housing clamps into the rear bracket. I’m assuming the new cable comes with the housing. If I have right stuff on my spare rear suspension, I might just need springs and a bolt which probably can be sourced locally.

my pic doesnt show, I think will have another look at the IRS, I thinks its just springs

the final 2 of my 3 pics shows the rear outer cable clamp, that is the key item

have you got the front handbrake controls ?

I did search Youtube “rebuild bendix brake booster” and all the info is there

It didnt change my mind that it is probably a pro job, but I did learn quite a lot about it

It doesnt seem like booster major repair kits are readily available to members of the public, I cant find any on ebay or google search

my mate who is a brake shop owner for 40 yrs is truly the Rainman of brakes, and knows as much as any other living human, his shop did mine

I am going to wrap my good units so they are well sealed in plastic.
These parts are very hard to come by,

I did take some pics, but wont bother posting, but there is some big plastic parts inside that are NLA and I have kept them as spares

The Girling Supervac 100 must have been made under licence from Bendix, it is the same inside

It is possible the one I did dismantle is from an International Scout, so would not be a Girling, as such, but a Bendix

I’ll have another look, but I think everything in front is there. My back order of parts including the cable got mailed today, so I should know soon about the cable housing in a week or so.

If the case has a band clamp around it like the remote boosters used on the e-type and Mk2, they aren’t bad to rebuild. The more modern cases, just forget about it.

Yes, I have all the e-brake parts in the front. Thanks for asking.