Mk10 door opening pinch weld trim

Hi again,
We ordered a U-shaped extrusion from one of the usuals that is supposed to cover the pinch weld at the door openings. The front one starts at the tip of the dash extension, up the A-pillar, across the cantrail and stops at the B-pillar. The back on starts at the B-pillar goes across the cantrail, around the back of the quarter window and stops at the chrome that traps it and the furflex/draft excluder.

The supplier sent a soft-rubber, U-shaped extrusion that would need to be glued to stay on the pinch weld. It has no strength to be able to hold itself. Our very-complete parts car seems to have more of a hard plastic edge-guard-style U-shaped extrusion in the same place… But it’s hard to say for sure what the material was because over the many years all the rubber has hardened and changed.

Does anyone have an original car that can tell me what that U-shaped extrusion was from the factory?


Can you post a photo or two, to explain what you are referring to?

Here’s a pic. This is a car from the internet not the one we’re working on, but the green arrow points to the pinch weld that is covered by the U-shaped extrusion. it’s between the wood and the rubber seal.

Rubber Beading On Cantrail (P_BD26315/2) (

I just sold Nick Banks some extra that I had. I got it years ago from SNG and it looked like their current photo.


We got it from SNGB… Not sure if that was it but it looks similar from their pic. Was yours just very soft rubber? What we got seems too small.

Pinchweld” is a term for a flexible, rubber-coated metal extrusion that “pinches” onto a thin flat edge, protecting both the edge and anyone who might come in contact with it.

What you are referring to as pinch welds are areas where 2 sheets of body panel are spot welded together.

The beauty of pinchweld extrusion is that it is tough as old boots, easy to fit and comes in a variety of colours and section sizes.

It is used extensively in small boats and can be bought from boating suppliers.

Maybe it’s a regional thing but lots of folks (possibly incorrectly) refer to those seams that are spot welded together to form a sort of sharp edge as pinch welds. You find them on the area where an inner and outer sills or rocker panels come together. In fact they sell alot of ‘pinch weld pads’ etc to fit over them for jacking purposes.

Anyway, what I’m after is what the factory originally used to cover this seam, not necessarily what suppliers now sell to do the job. Not a major thing but my friend, the owner of the car, is going to great lengths to keep it looking original so wanted to know what Jaguar did.

one side of my car is (almost certainly) original rubber

problem is I cant work out the exact location of the rubber piece your are referring to, despite the descriptions and pics

I would take a pic otherwise

My trimmer found it difficult to find appropriate rubber, I believe it is asymmetric. He used standard small pinchweld rubbers and covered them with waterproof felt. I am quite happy with the result.

It worked fine for me. Of all the rubber pieces, it was the one that caused me the least problem. I don’t know what they are selling now if it is not the same as the photo.


Tony, I’ll try to get a pic of it today or tomorrow in it’s natural state on the actual car

Interesting solution. I would guess since he covered it with felt the pinchweld rubber he could get didn’t look right uncovered… The alternatives to the rubber stuff we got from SNGB that I can get here are basically hard plastic, with or without a texture. That’s about it so maybe the soft rubber is a better choice…

Good to know Micah. I will look at the part no. you gave me earlier and make sure they match what we got

As mentioned we have a very complete and unmolested (except for rust and rot) '66 Mk10 parts car. I managed to get this off of it without it crumbling to dust so I though that I’d post a pic for future restorers. This is the cross section of the extrusion I was after. The ‘U’ is definitely plastic and the blob on the side used to be the rubber seal.

I don’t think the rubber was originally attached like this - it’s just fused to the plastic U over the years. I’ve seen that sort of blobby metamorphosis on old rubber before. Almost seems like cured glue after nearly 60 years.

1 Like