Mk10 insulation

Anyone know where I can get the three piece hardura insulation for the firewall of the mk10 ? I saw it listed somewhere a while ago , but can’t remember where . Tried all the usuals but drawn a blank .

I have never seen any type of kit for this. When it came time for me, I just made it myself.

Micah

I haven’t seen it either, but you could try Aldridge Trimming in the UK. They have trim pieces I didn’t find elsewhere. They do carry hardura in bulk , as well. Since it’s all obscured by finishing materials anyway, you could use any modern insulation. I used two products from Noico which I bought online - basically like Dynamat, but less expensive, very easy to use. Most of my dash underlayment was intact, and I only used a little there, but I used a lot of it under the carpet

Sorry , I didn’t make myself clear , the stuff I am looking for is in the engine bay , secured by press studs .

The original in my 420G (on the firewall) is black hardura, with jute backing, and its trimmed at the edge with thin vinyl.

You can buy the original materials and have a trimmer make it up (if you have the original as a template)

What I havent seen is original style material for the bonnet lining, its black, kind of like fibreglass mat, but its always trashed

Oh, you are talking about the heater box insulation. Mine did not originally have snaps and was glued on. I probably got it from BAS years ago.

Micah

2 Likes

I looked for it last year and didn’t find any - can’t remember if I checked with BAS thouogh. You can just buy rolled goods and have it sewn up. Last I checked, World Upholstery and Trim had it.

On mine there were three pieces, one large for the center and two small for the fan motors - different on the later 4.2 and 420G than on Micah’s 3.8. Mine, although missing, appeared to have been mostly glued, maybe a couple snaps (not sure what a “press stud” is - same thing?). If you look at www.saloondata.com/ you can find lots of photos that show the snaps.

Jeez , I thought mine was clean !

That’s the best I’ve seen

That must be the best there is ! :heart_eyes:

Its certainly excellent, and you could eat your lunch of it.

here is a picture of one that was featured in 'Octane" magazine, and described as “the best MKX in the world” ( following a restoration)

You can see it is a 4.2 MKX from the Dunlop P90 booster (which made me suspect you can get an overhaul kit for them)

Note the mods in the engine bay regarding the discussed Hardura cover to accommodate an advanced A/C system

Did the mk10 have fluted cam covers ? , I thought that was a 420 G feature . While we’re on the subject , the special gizmo for manually winding the windows up or down is missing from my toolkit , you don’t happen to have one , do you ? By the way , the temp gauge is installed and working fine :+1:

I have checked my sources, and I believe you are correct that is a 420G
(other pictures I have of the vehicle show the 420G body chrome)

In fact, the P90 brake booster was apparently still being fitted as late as '69

My 420G has manual window winders, as have the ones I have dismantled, so no tool

glad the temp guage is working

I’ve looked for the window tool before and not been successful, but they are easy to make out of a piece of rod. Unfortunately, they don’t work very well, as the alignment through the hole in the bottom of the door is tricky. Also, they don’t help if your motor burns up and freezes in the open position! Then, you will be pulling the window frame to get it apart. If you have electric windows, it’s essential that you check to see that the original circuit overload protection consisting of two relays and a circuit breaker is in place, not bypassed by some previous idiot mechanic like mine was.

Very easy to fabricate. Just need the dimensions, and a flat screw driver shaped end

I think I have one of those up in the attic. A little crusty, but serviceable

Micah.

I would be more than happy to challenge that Mark X as top contender. I see a wrong intake hose, wrong clamps, copper pipes and the horrible heater box cover. Don’t think the cam covers are right nor the plug wire routing.
Micah

I think we established that it is a 420G , so your crown :crown: is untarnished . I would like like that window tool , as it’s the only thing missing from my toolkit . If you are willing to sell please PM me with details .

I’ll leave it to others to duke it out for top honors, although I’m prejudiced in favor of Micah, since we do get to hear from him regularly.
As for myself, I’m shooting for the other end of the spectrum - “Rattiest Mk10”. Or maybe I could get best wheel chrome rings.

yes, I have the window trim, and will get it on soon, along with Euro parking lamps and tailights.

I have more pics of that 420G, it has several modifications

That hardura cover is definitely hiding a modern front A/C system, not having the evaporator hanging on the passenger interior

I have always liked your MKX, and have pictures of it to inspire me