Mk10 lacking the stamped chassis number

My opal dark green 4.2 Mk10, sold new in the US, lacks the stamped chassis number/VIN on the right inner wheel arch. And my maroon G also lacks it. This is also a US car. All of the European bound cars had it.
I find this very strange…

OZ ones have it that I have seen.

There is also an aluminium tag on each side of the body, low down on the rear corner, hidden by the bumper. One of these tags has the BODY number stamped on it

corresponds to the data plate in engine bay

Peder the number was not stamped on mine but rather engraved with probably a dentist drill back in those days so the numbers are not very deep, easily filled with paint. try some paint stripper and then very careful sanding, that should reveal it. Once I found mine I left the bare metal, gave it a clear coat then used a shaped piece of masking tape over it before I sprayed the engine compartment. Now it can be seen and looks pretty.

How interesting.

What is the VIN? Wonder if it is close to mine, which was buimt in June ’66.

Is it on the right inner wheel arch?

Peder

There is no such thing as a VIN on these old cars, that system came much later. They have engine numbers, transmission numbers, a body number and a Chassis number. My chassis number is is G1D 76906BW and is engraved on the RHS inner wheel fender right on top in the middle, in front of your Battery, (LHD) I will bet yours is there just painted over. If it’s not then whoever resprayed your car in the past may have sanded it off, as I said the engraving is not very deep, in fact it barely scratches the metal.
Mine was built in August 66 registered Feb 67. have a look at http://www.saloondata.com/ do a search on 420G they will all come up those that have bothered to register that is.
You should have a record of your number somewhere. If you don’t know it write to Jaguar heritage tell them your engine number, transmission number and body number (behind bumper) and ask them what the chassis number goes with those, at least the body number should match up even if the motor and transmission have been swapped.