Mk1V Clutch Pedal Mechanism

Hello

I am presently trying to put together a Mk1V 3.5 litre clutch pedal mechanism. What I have is different from what is depicted in the Jaguar Autobook one workshop manual.

Is the clutch pedal mechanism different for the 1.5, 2.5 & 3.5 litre engines & perhaps the manual doesn’t show a 3.5 litre mechanism?

I also have two throw out stop adjustment pieces, see photo, one has a large disc & the other has a smaller disc on one end. I do not seem to be able to position either of them in any of the starter motor holes to make them work. Are they used on a RHD 3.5 litre motor as I see in the manual that they were not fitted to LHD cars?

Biskit,

The stop goes into the centre of the three starter bolt holes. The head on my car is 1 3/4" diameter. I hope this helps.

Art

Hello

Cheers Art, one of my stop head adjusters is 1 3/4" & the other is 1 1/4". Placing the larger one in the centre starter hole allows the clutch pedal to just touch the edge of it which doesn’t appear correct, also by placing it in the centre hole the brake pedal fouls the stop. In the manual it says the stop should be in the top starter hole but if it is placed there the clutch pedal completely misses it. Does your pedal hit the centre of the 1 3/4" disc? Perhaps my clutch pedal shaft is bent, do you know the correct centre distance between the clutch & brake pedals (say at the top) ?

Also is your clutch mechanism the same as mine or as in the manual & is your Mk1V a RHD 3.5litre?

Cheers Peter

Art’s car is a RHD 3 1/2 litre

The brake pedal is also vastly too far forward that spring on it should be about vertical

And it seems someone has stolen your Jaguar gear box.

The arm on the end of the cross shaft in the beell housing looks original , Has the bushes and shaft been done? when they have , it’s not abad idea to put a dab of MIG on the jint twixt shaft and yoke and shaft and lever at the outside.

Hello

Ed, the pedals were positioned so it was easier to photograph, as for the stolen gearbox I am sizing up whether I can use something else other than a Moss box as no one is able to tell me if you can swap a good first speed gear from a gearbox that has a cluster gear made from individual gears on a splined counter shaft into a gearbox that has the cluster gear as a complete gear.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there is a difference between the clutch mechanism on a 2.5 & 3.5 litre car & why my mechanism is difference to the one depicted in the workshop manual? A friend’s Mk1V 3.5 litre has the clutch mechanism as shown in the manual.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

I think that ideally you should keep original gear pairs so if you are fitting a different lay shaft then you should also transfer the input shaft and 2nd and 3rd gears as well as first from the main shaft.

I don’t know of any difference in the withdrawal mechanisms of the 2.5 and 3.5 litre cars but the 3.5 has a larger flywheel and clutch plate/cover and a larger bell housing.

Peter

Peter
Firstly , the 1 1\2 litre gearbox is a different box to the 6 cylinder cars.
Apart from it being a double helical box on MK IV 1 1\2s and single helical on most 6 cylinder post war MK IVs
Old car gear boxes here make new fist gears for Moss boxes , but only on the basis that they do the whole box.
Reasonable , I suppose, that in the event they sold the parts and they weren’t assembled correctly , the owner would naturally blame them.
@ 1\2 1nd 3 1\2 have the same clutch mechanism , But the 2 1\2 has a smaller clutch [ and flywheel . ]
These days we put diaphram clutches in which are smaller anyway. with a different yoke of course.

I thought you were asking about Mark VII gearboxes?
Better post some pictures so we understand what you are asking.

Biskit,

What year is your car? My car is a 1947 3 1/2 litre and it has a double helix gearbox. I tried years ago when I was replacing the gearings to see if any parts from a MK10 gearbox would fit but nothing was compatible.

Art

Hello

Thanks Ed, Rob, Peter & Art for your comments.

With regards to the clutch pedal mechanism I have posted a photo of a friend’s Mk1V 3.5 litre that has a clutch pedal mechanism the same as shown in the manual & different to mine, there is a photo of my mechanism in an earlier post. Where there two types of clutch pedal mechanisms or is mine a ring in as the original car was written off & parts collected over the years to replace the damaged parts which included a broken bell housing? Where the bell housing & clutch mechanism came from I do not know.

The gearbox question is to do with MkV11 boxes as the original Mk1V one, single helical, is well worn.
The photo of the clusters & first speed gears shows the two types of cluster gears, one that is a complete gear while the second has individual gears assembled onto a splined counter shaft.

The g/b with the complete cluster is in excellent condition other than one tooth on the first speed gear that is through the case hardening, tooth with the white dot. The g/b with the splined counter shaft cluster has a better first speed gear & the first speed hub has the stop to stop the g/b jamming in first.

So what I am wondering is if I can swap the first speed gear & hub from one box to the other. I agree with Peter that it is probably not wise to swap gears the are not matching, say for helical gears but I don’t know if the same applies to straight cut gears?

So my two questions are, are there two types of Mk1V clutch pedal mechanisms or is mine not correct due the pedal not lining up with the throw out stop adjuster & the second one is it OK to swap the first speed gears over?

Cheers Peter

Biskit,

Here is a picture of my clutch pedal. And a picture of the pedal depressed to show where it contacts the stop.

Art