Mk1V / V 3.5 litre Valve Rockers

Hello
I am presently putting a head together for a 3.5 litre engine. I have two sets of valve rockers ie. 24 rockers, part # C437 - 14 off, C438 - 10 off.
Can anyone with a spare parts manual for a 3.5 litre engine please tell me the number listed for C437 & C438 in the manual?
The way I have it put together presently there are six of each, starting with #1 exhaust C438 then alternating with C437 #1 inlet, then C438 #2 inlet, then C437 all the way to C437 #6 exhaust.
This leaves me with eight C437 & four C438, seems odd but who knows with these old engines with many POs.

Regards Peter

Hi,

It’s six and six. They have a different angle.

My MKIV engine also had apparently had seven and five for more than four decades. I got a good spare from Roger and thus now have seven and six but do not remember which numbers.

I plan on retorqueing the head bolts and replacing that one rocker and one pushrod (slightly out of true) in the near future followed by adjusting the valve clearances.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks. Six and six, onviously. No. 1 and No. 2. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Be sure to note the angle mentioned by Pekka. This is a lateral, sideways angle to line up the rocker ends to center of valve stem ends.

Thank you Gentlemen, the only reason I found out that one rocker was incorrect was that the pushrod on #1 exhaust was not central in its head hole although the tappet end was OK on the valve stem. For your info. Pekka when you next work on your valve train this is how I fitted my rockers.
C438 rockers on exhaust # 1, 7, 9
inlet # 3, 5, 11
C437 rockers on exhaust # 4, 6, 12
inlet # 2, 8,10
Numbering from flywheel end of head.

Regards Peter