Mk2 1967 jaguar positive or negative

Hi…anybody know…what’s mean a positive car and negative…?? I’m confused …my jaguar 1967 3 1/2 is negative o positive…how to know…

It generally refers to the polarity of the battery connections, specifically whether the positive or negative terminal is connected to ground.

Look at the short thick cable connected from the battery directly to the car body. Probably on the left. As you look from the front. If that is connected to the positive terminal on the battery then the car is 'positive earth / ground '. This was the standard but many will have been converted. Most modern devices like CD players, alarms or sat navs are all negative ground and will short out / die.

Thanks … tomorrow I’ll go to check that…and after send the results…

I still have posative earth with the original Dynamo , that was reconditioned by Lucus some 35 years ago , I run a CD player , and a sat nav .
Battery is over 5 years old and I have never had to re charge it , I put that down to the kill switch , If I am not sitting in the car the battery is always isolated as I take the key with me !

A 1967 model is from around-about the time the changeover from the earlier +ve earth (ground) to the later -ve earth was made.

My first-registered January 1968 Daimler V8-250 (so obviously manufactured in 1967) is -ve earth.

If your car hasn’t been messed about with, and especially if it’s still working, the clock is marked with the polarity.

Jags before about '65 with a generator were positive ground. Jags after about '65 with an alternator were negative.

Thanks for you time, I’m learning more about…

You must have a very unusual CD player that runs on positive earth or you have it wired specially for that. Same with a sat nav system.

Sat nav and CD player are the normal run of the mill , long as they don’t touch the body of the car they are fine ,
The sat nav socket is made of plastic so that’s not a issue , CD player is in the wooden armrest I made !
I can highly recommend a Arm rest , one of the best things I did to my car :+1:20180605_185051

:+1::smiley: look good…Im thinking made something…

This one is the MK2 , a little wider , will be a MK3 when I get time !

Checked my RHD UK Mk2 240, registered October 1968, positive earth!

I presume then that you have a generator (dynamo), not an alternator.

All had a dynamo from the factory, I will be fitting an alternator together with the XJ6 ser3 3.4 engine so will go negative earth, my car was only two owners, problem is the second owners bought it in 1979 and parked it up six months later in a damp garage until I bought it a few years ago!

That is what I have in my MK2 matchlesspat !
I made it look like a 340 Engine , right down to the Tacho drive on the back of the cam shaft !

We must meet up when I get a bit more done on my Jag, sounds like you are somewhere over the bridge in the garden of England? I am moving my wiper motor out by an inch or so to be able to fit the big flat 3.8 type airfilter, I had no air filters on my first Mk2, a grey 1963 3.8 I owned when I was around 19, back in the early 70’s, I fitted triple carbs from a Mk10, I remember filing the brake master mounting to a more upright position to get them in,

And it says so in the original, correct workshop manual.

So maybe the Jaguar is different. But I doubt it.

I’d be inclined to think that if you have the slim bumper model you will have an alternator and will be -ve earth.

Yes I am in Maidstone , not sure why Jaguar did not go out the inner wing next to the carbs , nice cold air , rather then suck hot air up over the exhuast manifolds , even on the MK1’s the pipe went over the engine , and out the inner wing , rather then go out the inner wing next to the carbs , if you look by your fuse box cover , your see a round circle , that was never changed , and is where the MK1 air intake was !!

Nope, I am in fact the second owner and it was registered October 1968, dynamo, positive earth looking at the leads and slim bumpers, no picnic trays, vinyl seats, going to leather, fat bumpers, wires, resale red exterior and dark red interior, does the clock change for + or - earth? is there something apart from the leads I can check?