Mk2 240 1968 carburettor drain pipe

I’ve just cleaned and flushed out the tank and fuel lines after my car has been standing for several months. Unfortunately I believe the carburettor float has stuck in the open position and fuel flows out from the smooth brass pipe situated on top of the float chamber. This has now made me aware that a pipe is missing which would direct any fuel away from the engine block! This pipe is also missing from the other carburettor. I’ve found drain pipes online with a banjo fitting but mine look like they need a push on rubber elbow. I’m not sure I like the idea of it just draining out onto the road either. Any one know what I can do or where to source these pipes? Many thanks

That looks so unlike what is on my float bowl. I have a banjo fitting with a 3 foot long pipe going down towards the ground for any over flow. I also attached fuel SAFE tubing as an extension to my pipes to get any fuel further away from the engine bay. Temporarily you could use fuel SAFE tubing to solve your over flow. Taking off the cap and cleaning the needle and seat GENTLY should solve your problem. Do NOT blow air pressure into this assembly!

What year and size is this engine?

Gerard

Thanks for your reply Gerard.
It’s a 1968 240. I’ve seen the SNG overflow pipe but it had the banjo fitting. I do intend to overhaul the carbs but want to get this issue sorted first. The petrol exiting towards the engine was alarming. I’m assuming this is a HS6 ?

Hi Ron , if I was you I would use the clear pvc air hose you can get for fish tanks , run them both down into a old plastic drinks bottle , much safer then letting it drain on to the floor , under the car , only wants a spark from the starter close by and bang !!!

Once you have fitted drain pipes , get some one to turn the ignition on , pump is working as you have fuel , then tap the tops of the float chamber with a big spanner or the like , it is quite a common fault for them to stick , even on rebuilt carbs

when you do rebuild them it’s a good idea to change the jubilee clips with proper fuel line clips , you get a much better seal , plus they look better !

I know I will be shot down about the pvc pipe , but fuel is only in them for seconds , no pressure , and will do the job !

Or buy some of this , not sure size you need !

Thanks for this info Ian