MK2 Axle Ratio's

Having another look at the charts , I can see the advantages of fitting the 3.77 ratio axle , my mind was fixed on the 70mph numbers , in overdrive , take the overdrive out , and speed to rev’s are much more in 3.77 favour !

Hi Ian,
Bit late on this but I’m going down the same path with my 3.4 conversion. I’ve sourced a 3.77 crown wheel and pinion (very hard to find over here) and will fit that. There should be a tag on the Diff cover stating the ratio, in my case 47/11 = 4.27. Cheers Phil

I picked up 2 with 3.77 ratio Phil , going to fix one up over the winter and change it over !
I am 95% sure what one I am going to use now .
Made a stand for it , on wheels , far too old for bending and lifting :grin:

I made all the tools you need for stripping these down.
Spreader, pinion remover, bearing fitters etc. Will photograph them if you want.
Get someone to press the hubs off. One of mine took nearly 20 tons!

Thank you for the offer wardell , but I am not getting that deep into it ,
I will just replace the half shaft outer bearings , and the pinion bearing , with new seals and gaskets as needed .

20 ton’s ,:thinking: I got both hubs off the axle on my car now , with a 3 leg puller , done up tight and hit with a sledge hammer , they both just popped off

Other people may like to see the tool’s

I did think about fitting a LSD from a XJ6 into one of the Axles , if one comes along at a low price I may well get one , and add it to my to do list , so yes please like to see the tool’s !

!

Hi Wardell, I’d be keen to see the tools as well, even though I will probably outsource setting up the diff. I’ve had the same problem with the rear hubs - even with the Churchill tool they wouldn’t budge, so had them pressed off.

Ian, I was wondering about the XJ option as well until I found the 3.77, be interesting if you do have a play with that.

I’ll exhume the tools, photograph them and do a bit of a write-up. My car is a MK9. On these the discs come off without removing the hubs, and I suspect the hubs had never been off in 60 years, hence the enormous pressure required. Maybe the MK2 hubs had previously been removed to fit new discs at some point.
I made the tools from scrap angle iron and threaded rod. A lathe and arc welder were needed and a mechanical hacksaw came in handy.

I have had my MK2 for over 40 years ,and not on the road for 39 of them , discs where low , don’t thing they have been off .
PhIl, it would be a labour of love, not a need to fit a LSD , as it’s only for road use , don’t think you can tell if you have a LSD on a dry road , wet , snow , or wet grass maybe a diffrent story , far as I know it’s all just a bolt in job !!

My car stays in the garage if it’s wet , far too many water traps :smile:

I’ve just had my 3.77 upgraded to lsd. In that process the attached is ‘free to a good home’

Hi Phil.
A bit cheeky I know and you shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, but I assume it’s in good condition? You’re just changing because you want a limited slip? Where are you?
Bob

Yes the car was running perfectly. I’m in Surrey

I’m in north Wales. If I send you packaging can you parcel it up and let me know, then I’ll send a courier?