Mk2 castor shims

I see in the manual that there should be eight 0.0625" shims plus the 0.3125" aluminium distance piece around the upper ball joint.

Reassembling my front end, I fitted the upper bump stop first, assuming that it set the width for the outer end of the wishbone. As a result I only have room for the distance piece and three shims. Both sides are the same.

My disassembly photos show 5 shims on both sides.

I haven’t actually tried yet, but I doubt I will be able to get the bump stop on if I put in another 5 shims.

Thoughts?

Not exactly an answear to Your question but have You read this thread and pdf linked below ?

Setting up

I went this route right from the off-car suspension assembly phase, so it’s easier later.

Hey Andrew, my car is has the same number of shims as yours (ie, 5 - although they are all on the opposite side to the aluminium spacer) The workshop manual I have states a total of 8 shims. So, who knows. I rebuilt mine and returned the shims and spacers to the same location they were before dismantling. Not sure if it’s correct or not, and I’ve not taken any measurements. All I know is that it’s the same now after reassembly.

Thanks for that. It’s reassuring.