MK2 Coolant Expansion tank!

Picked a Brass header tank up today , comes with a mounting bracket , needs good clean and a new cap , paint braket , may block off the small outlet , keep the overflow , and reduce size of the bottom big outlet , then get a reducing T to fit

Well the tank come today , 1 hour in the ultrasonic cleaner did a good job .
I am going to get the pipes changed , by the guy who re cord my rad , but he is shut till the 4th .
Going to get him to move the small pipe down , and block off the hole that will be left !
I can get on and order the hose and T , paint and fix the tank bracket too the body

Ps , no the ultrasonic cleaner did not do a good job on the cap , that’s :grin: new

That looks like it should do it but don’t forget the flat cap for the radiator.

The plastic tanks were fitted to Rover SD1 and 1970s Aston AMV8. Rimmer Bros has repros.

Ron

Hi Kopik,
I just had a look at your beer overflow tank - that looks really professional! Amazing what a good coat of gloss black paint will do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will be using the standard cap John
Thought about it , I am going to try and change the pipes myself , nothing to lose :thinking:

Thanks JonV2! :grinning:
Köpi

Well a few hours work , did the job ,

Had to change the way the tank clamped into the holder , so it would fit in the gap , made another bracket to bolt it to the bonnet hinge , once pained black don’t think it will look out of place :thinking:

Ian, if you put a standard spring cap on the radiator neck how is the overflow coolant going to be sucked back into the radiator from your overflow tank when the engine cools down? On my system which uses a similar overflow tank, from an MGB I think, I use the spring cap on the overflow tank and a flat cap on the radiator neck.

John, I am using a 240 Radiator , that I had a uprated core fitted to
That has a bypass hose that goes from one side of the stat , too below the rad cap spring , see pic .
On a foot note , I took the bypass hose off the filler neck yesterday , to check the size of the hose I need , there was no water in it !!
Will be nice to know the rad and system will be full , once the tank is fitted :+1:

126107002_418745019508395_696656978431023437_n

OK, I see how you have done this and it should work fine. My radiator is stock 3.8S so I use the flat cap on it and the spring cap in the overflow tank.

Made a diffrent bracket yesterday , tank fit’s tighter too the inner wing now .
Just waiting on the post man now , for some paint and and hose .

1 Like

The modification I made , both ends , so tank has more free room !

1 Like

Just waiting on the hose and T to come in the post , so I can fit it ! !
Look’s a bit better :+1:

1 Like

How much :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream: can’t see much more then £50 there !
Just love the way the tank is bolted on :rofl:

Header Tank Kit for Jaguar MK2 MKII and Stype Saloon | eBay

I just got a very similar one for ~20 British pounds!

Mine was around £35
£21.00 tank
£5.63 for 3M of hose
£2.99 brass T
£3.95 new pressure cap
Had the hose clips already

1 Like

Brass T come today so finished the job off , had a few drips from the rad overflow , but it’s only got a 9lb rad cap on it , XJ6 engine needs a 13 lb , new cap on the explanation tank is 15lb , so will change them over tomorrow , and try it again , can’t really tell how good it works till I get the car out on the road !

13Ib,15Ib Ian, you going for a trip over the Alps or sutch ? All that poundage straining the hoses and joints !
Around the reasonably flat area you live surely a 4Ib cap is sufficient, but then again I s’pose there’s the “Queen Elizabeth” bridge.