MK2 Door Trim (chrome waist rail removal)

I just removed the chrome trim from my doors. I got some pointers from previous posts on the forum. In order to help the next guy/gal I took some photos.

As a previous poster mentioned - what you find may be different based on what ever the last painter did :slight_smile:

Rear Door
The rear door trim was held on my snapping the trim over a series of special rivets. I used a wide steel putty knife (scrapper) under the top edge then pressed the handle back leveraging the trim forward. I found a short sharp push was best. Was actually relatively easy.

Front Door
Mostly the same rivets - except the leading edge. There is a special fixing clip/stud that bolts through the leading edge of the door. In my case I had to dig out part of the door rubber to find the nut. Not all cars will have a piece of door rubber there as it was a later addition to reduce wind noise.

I spent quite a bit of time wondering why the putty knife technique wasn’t working on this last fixing point before I thought to look at the back of the door. Hence my post

Cheers.
Dave

These are the later type of pop rivet clip fitted to an earlier door with slots to take the push and turn clip.