MK2 dzus spat fasteners

I pulled off the spats and am replacing the rubber seals and the 3 little press in bump stop rubber pieces. I find that the seal that was in situ was more like the what one would find in the doorway of ones’ house. Puffy, square and very sticky; by the time I am removing it. I am using 3m adhesive remover to get it all and will have to resort to a delicate application of a small wire wheel to get all of the gunk out of there. Calling out to the beautiful Tabitha as we speak!! I am a bit ham fisted for delicate work which might scratch the paint and my Angela (Tabitha) has 20-50W in her veins.

I recall back in the day my father would remove the spats, apply snow chains and head home up the mountain with us kiddos squealing with delight as he used that LSD (posi) with great success in sliding around all of the curves and getting us safely home.

The newly purchased sealing gasket is shaped more on a beveled design and not as thick, but of course I have no idea what my father might have installed back in the day.

Finally, my question! Should there be some sort of sealing, soft rubber, washer/gasket around the dzus stud? This would end up going between the spat and the side of the car where one screws in the dzus screws. I ask this because I took a high pressure air hose with a rubber nipple/nozzle and blasted out the three bump stop holes and also the two dzus holes with results similar to a Texas dust bowl filling the cabin. It will take awhile to get all of that dust out of the cabin.

I was looking at 51 years of fine particulate dust and I want to avoid the ingress of future dust in the future. If not designed that way from the factory I believe I will retrofit something that suits my needs.

Gerard