MK2 Jaguar modifications

I am looking for more projects , modifications I can do to my car , or have I covered most things ?
At the moment I am looking into making a Towing eye , to bolt to the Bumper Iron .
List of mods so far .

Fully reconditioned XJ6 3.4 Engine
Copper HT leads , sports coil ,
Uprated rota arm
2" HS8 SU carbs
Mechanical Oil pressure gauge
E-type factory lightweight flywheel
Uprated Radiator core
Electric cooling fan
S-Type Auxiliary water pump
Kevlar hoses
Sincro gearbox with overdrive
3.54 L.S.D Axle
Close ratio steering box
2" straight through Exhuast
XJ6 6" rims 215/70-15 P4000 tyres
Bearing control arm bushes
Moto lita steering wheel , alloy horn push
Air horn
Lowered uprated front springs
Lowered spring mounts
Polycarbonate rear spring spacers
Poly bushes
Uprated rear spring mounting plates
Rear Anti roll bar
GAZ adjustable dampers
Braded clutch and brake hoses
Copper Nickel brake lines
Kill switch
Narrow rear spats
CD player
Sat nav socket
Door mirror
EBC Greenstuff brake pads ,

Leather seats
Towing eye

I think that’s about it , if I think of anything else I will add it to the bottom of the list !

I was quite happy with the brakes , before I fitted the EBC Greenstuff pads , they are meant to give 15-20% brake improvement , but better then what ?
Plus just replaced servo .
So not looking to replace the Calipers , no point in spending £1000 , plus I have some cooper craft and Volvo 4 pots laying about !

Looking at the list , electronic ignition is missing , I did have Lumanition on a GT6 , was very happy with that , so may look into that .

Looking for other bolt on modifications, or improvment’s, with pictures, would be nice :+1:

Car started life as a 240 Auto , some may say it’s not a MK2 !

Love it. I want to know more about your rear end mods as I have poly bushes and stock springs and it sits up too high. Not sure how to lower the rear end without having the leafs modified?

I have removed the entire wiring harness for a modern Painless kit, but only really necessary if you’re having electrical problems

I also did a T5 last year but I see you have a 4+1 so that’s probably not that much different

I removed my 123/TUNE for EDIS over the past few weekends, plan on test driving this weekend as I’ve got the ECU programmed finally, but hopeful that will be a nice upgrade

I also did a battery relocation to the trunk but I did it to make room for EDIS stuff, and to shift some weight to the rear end (I don’t run a spare tire so it’s even lighter in the back)

Another thing that really interests me is a Watts Link or other type of rear end suspension, it’s probably more major surgery than a bolt in, but it’s briefly mentioned in this Project Utah video

Theo , my springs are standard , I just stripped them down and rebuilt them , the rear suspention is cantilever as you know , springs have 2 fixing points to the body , think I am right in saying , if you pack under 2 and 3 , in effect move the spring away from the body , the other end of the spring with Axle on it will move up , closer to the body !

I think thats incorrect, packing under ‘4’ would be more likely or reducing #2 height?

A Megajolt/EDIS upgrade would be more noticeable to running pleasure than most of what has been done so far!

1 Like

If you pack down just 3 it will lower, but a pack under 4 achieves nothing.
the way to go is to have the springs reset. this flattens the spring which moves the
axle off center to the wheel arch, so the rear spring eye needs to be repositioned forward.
Soon to do this on a race MK1.
Peter B.

Great discussion on rear suspension… I have a '57 Mk1 that has a Mk2 suspension (assuming the only difference is the width of the rear axel). The ride height is just right, but the rear axel is too far back causing the rear wheels to scrub when cornering tight. Have plenty of room to move the axel forward, but do not understand how to do this without cutting down the leaf springs. Suggestions?

Jeff , I take the blue MK1 is your car , does it scrub with the spats removed , looking at the picture its the lower edges of the spat that are too close !

Look at it like a seesaw , middle never moves , you just want one end to go up , so you lower the other end !

Ian, no issue with the spats removed, I guess I could always go back to the Mk1 axel, but I would rather not. If I could just get the axel moved forward 1/2" it would solve my issue.

I concur: when I installed EDIS on Tweety, the improvement in drivability, starting, improved idle, and mileage was startling.

Jeff are you aware that the rear arch tucks in more , compared to a MK2, at the bottom rear corner. If your rear axle sits central to the wheel arch this is the prob. On the other hand when MK 1/2 rear springs get weak and flatten the axle is positioned more to the rear to a degree that I have observed the diff cover scrape the petrol tank support located nearby.
Are you OK with the position of the rear axle re the wheel arch?
Peter B.

Well there is a few things you can do to get 1/2
Hard to tell by the pic , but looks to me like you could lose 1/2" on the inside of the spats , red bit .
Leave spats off .
Get a new bottom leaf made 1/2" shorter .
Cut 1/2" out the spring , weld hole up , make new hole , will get shot down for that one :laughing:
Refit MK1 Axle , and lose about 3" Track .a5eafe93924fd88420a631cc9a5e2833b426203d_2_1035x5821

I LOVE that guy’s vision and workmanship!

The Weber cum throttle bodies are brilliant, and overall, that is gonna be an awesome build.

I remember when I used structural adhesive on Tweety, and caught major shit for doing so…:wink:

I would dump the XJ wheels, the look off periode.
Styling does not match the MK2 looks.

Regards,
Peter Jan

Peter, yes I noticed the same issue with the rear diff cover, its obvious that it has hit the petrol tank at some point. When I rebuilt the rear suspension a couple of years ago, I had the springs re-arched (thats what the suspension shop called it). Maybe if I just bought new leaf springs it would have helped.

Thanks Ian, all good suggestions…JS

Agree but if you raise the forward location it is going to lower the rear which to my mind is going to raise the rear of the car?

How can it lower the rear ?
The middle is held in place by a plate and 4 bolts , what would happen if you took off the front mounting bracket , front would fall down , how could the rear fall down too :shushing_face:

I like the wheels Peter , they are Jaguar , and I get lots of complements about them , not that it matters , as it’s my car !
I don’t like wire wheels , very few MK2 Jaguars left the factory with them , wire wheels are for sports cars , not Saloon :rofl:

2 Likes