MK2 Notch in Front Saddle Needed?

I remade the saddle under the grill. Sharing the work earlier a poster reminded me to make the notch in the middle. I put it in the back of my head and forgot…

So I have finished painting it and then it popped to the front of my head when I saw a little pool of water in the middle of the saddle after giving the area a quick wash.

Is this a critical drainage feature I need to put back. Perhaps just drill a hole through ?

The grill fits fine as is.

Cheers.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I thought that the notch was needed in order to provide clearance for the grill center vane to pass through the grill opening as the vane mounting hardware is proud of the peripheral mounting flange when assembled. If yours fits, I don’t see a need to put one in.

Relative to water pooling, when I rebuilt my saddle area, I drilled an 1/8" hole in the underside panel to provide a route for water egress from the enclosed box section. I did not drill any holes in the upper surface as I am trying to keep water from getting in. I seam sealed the area and fingers crossed, she’ll be good for a long, long time.

Brian

This is the slot in question Dave.

Phew. Thanks. I will leave well enough alone then.
I did as you have done and put a small drain hole in the underside panel.

Dave

Funny :thinking: my grill would not fit , with out the notch !

Hello Ian,

I had a look at our car last night after reading your comment and confirmed that our grill needs the notch for the center vane to pass through. Our grill would not fit flush without it.

Brian

1 Like

I checked my grill. The center vane just looks like Brian’s. I must have made the new saddle lip low enough that it isn’t needed.

Dave