Mk2 rookie have no clue about it please help

Hey I’m 18 years old and I own a 1963 3.4 mk2 jaguar automatic. I talked to a guy that works on hot rods and he said since my car is duel carburetor an high performance electric pump would be great just find out how much psi each carburetor needs if anyone knows how much please help me out or if you know a good pump that works that be great also my power steering does not work and I haven’t pulled out the pump to see if I need to rebuild it what do you guys recommend thank you so much

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Is there something wrong with your fuel pump or are you purely looking for increased performance? I do not think a new pump will make any difference as it only fills the carb bowls, the carbs themselves actually feed the motor. There are other things you can do to increase the performance of the engine.

1 Like

Hey thank you very much.The original pump doesn’t work and my dad had put a cheap pump on it but it does not push enough gas that’s what my dad had told me but he’s no mechanic that’s why I want to change the pump but I am also trying to push some more power out of the engine i don’t know how much power it makes. What modifications would you recommend

The engine is already in a reasonably high state of tune–especially for then, you have dual exhausts, carbs, OHC, if you look at the front of the valley between the cams you’ll see a number ending with 7, 8, or 9 that’s your compression ratio. higher is better if you don’t mind paying more for fuel. There’s not much you can INEXPENSIVELY do other than lightly rounding the intake manifold holes where the carbs mount-- that may get you 2 HP! If you want to build engines and don’t have thousands of bux get a old American lump–you can cheaply make big improvements. There’s a soft cover book about hopping the Jag for around $20.00 it’s good[quote=“Josecrivelli, post:1, topic:371490, full:true”]
Hey I’m 18 years old and I own a 1963 3.4 mk2 jaguar automatic. I talked to a guy that works on hot rods and he said since my car is duel carburetor an high performance electric pump would be great just find out how much psi each carburetor needs if anyone knows how much please help me out or if you know a good pump that works that be great also my power steering does not work and I haven’t pulled out the pump to see if I need to rebuild it what do you guys recommend thank you so much
[/quote]

1 Like

Carburetor cars do not need high pressure fuel pumps like fuel injected cars do. They just need high volume, i.e. measured in gallons or liters per minute. The original Lucas pump is fine, all the pressure and volume you ever need, and easy enough to rebuild, get the parts from Moss Motors or Burlen Fuel Systems. There is a transistorized electronic conversion now so you don’t need to worry about the points wearing out.

The power steering pump can be rebuilt, but first check that it has enough fluid in it. There may be a filter in the reservoir that is clogged.

1 Like

Thank you very much!!! I will Definitely look into it I’ll have to go home and check what number it is and by any chance do you know where I can find that book

Thank you !! I understand a lot more now and I asked my dad a more about the power steering and he said that he tried to fill it back up and it had leaked it all out I don’t know from where but I will try to inspect it and see where the leak came from and tell you guys to see if it’s fixable or not

Another quick question what do you mean by old American lump?

Go to your local parts store and get a Facet or Purolator electric pump that has LESS than 3psi. Put a filter BEFORE the pump and after the tank.

A lump is when you take an American engine like a corvette LS style and put it into your car.

Look at John’s site and you will find a lot of information if you want to lump the car.

Here is the “lump” section within this Forum:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/c/lumps

Gerard

1 Like

Hi Jose

Welcome to JL.

Your carbs won’t work with more than 4 p.s.i tops. Often the original SU pump just needs the points cleaning and adjusting. Facet makes 4 p.s.i pumps.

Your first step should be to get the workshop manual for the Mark 2 - it has all the information you need to service the car. Moss motors probably sells them.

I started rebuilding my first Jag (a 420G) at 15. Don’t worry about going faster than the other guys at school - you’ve got chrome, wood, leather, and wool, everyone else just has plastic.

2 Likes

Ohhh okay I understand I had the idea of putting an ls but would have to fabricate my own mounts to do it I’ll check out the lump section that you !!

Hahaha that is very true but I also love the jdm style of cars I might get hate for it but that’s how my passion for cars started when I first received this car I knew nothing about it and I thought I would swap an ls and make a crazy sleeper old car but I have grown to appreciate its age and I rather have the car running properly with a little more power to have some fun as well thank you for the information now I know what to look for I’ll get the manual maybe the carburetors are dirty

Not just mounts, but exhaust, and driveshaft as well. I don’t think the 3,4 rad has enough capacity to take the heat the LS generates back out, so you’ll probably need some work there.

Then there’s the tach, speedo, O/P and temp gauges to sort out.

Doing a lump properly is a lot more effort than fixing the original, and as I understand it yours does run, so I’d advise you to just fix what you have… the learning curve is already steep enough.

5 Likes

Thank you so much that’s what I am going to do it’s only my first day on this forum and everybody has been so helpful thank you to everyone who has helped me !!!

That is very true I’m definitely going to restore the engine back to how it originaly was I’m going look all the advice you and others have given me to see if the engine will start back up again I also need to bleed the breaks and hopefully I can restore the power steering I’ll keep everyone updated on my progress and if I get stuck will definitely go ask you guys because ive only worked on newer cars and never had experience with a carburetor and still don’t really understand how they work haha hopefully with what you guys have shown me will solve my problem

Just work through the problems methodically. Don’t start just replacing bits unless you have performed a test which narrows the problem down to a specific part, connection or adjustment - throwing money at a problem is expensive, and it generally causes the problems to multiply.

When you get stuck, or you’re not sure, just ask a question here on JL - there aren’t any problems which can happen on your car which one or the other of us has not dealt with at one time or another.

Tell us where you’re located, there’s a good chance that someone lives nearby and would be willing to help.

1 Like

I feel you on this. I grew up with american muscle cars, but then my dad wanted a Mk2 so I helped him restore it, and now it’s mine. At first I thought the car was very boring and while elegant, not fun to drive. I have changed my mind. These cars are very unique and rare, unlike mustangs and tuner JDMs. They also have a rich racing history. I have slowly converted my car to be a tribute to the european touring car championship cars. Little things like cold air intake, open exhaust, electronic ignition, can make it peppier and more fun to drive. Then you rebuild the suspension and make it handle well, and you’ve got a fun, racey car with heritage. Just takes time to get used to the technology and feel of the car. You’ll get there.

1 Like

Hi Jose and welcome to Forum.
About Power Steering: go under the car and see where it leaks. It could be hoses (easy to replace), pump or the steering gear itself. The leak may happen only when pressure is on, so start engine and turn wheels. Small leaks may be cured with “magic fluids” (StopLeak etc.) but usually you have to open something and replace seals.
In addition of Service Manual Andrew recommended, get also Parts Manual, it has good pictures and more important it has part numbers, so you can order new correct parts. Almost everything is still available, if not from USA then at least from UK.
Check my restoration story from here:
http://www.elisanet.fi/kopik/jag/jagmk2.htm
Little bit about Power Steering at year 2001.
Köpi

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of the power steering system.

Hoses and hose connections is the first thing to check.

1 Like

Hello,

Think about that most of these steering boxes are leaking anyway.
Putting just new seals in there is not enough, most of the times wear is beyond repair.
If that is the case the best solution is to try to get the later Marles variomatic steering box ( also used on the 420).
Or convert to a rack and pignion.

Regards,
Peter Jan ( S-type 1967, converted to a Marles box )

1 Like