MK2 Sliding Steel Sunroof

Hello again,

I’m just trying to find out if anyone knows how many MK2’s were fitted with Factory installed sliding steel sunroofs? I only know of three, the one in my car, one in the USA and one in Nigel Thorley’s book.

Mine (sorry about the driver - me! - Ha Ha)

Pat Ruster’s lovely car in the USA.

And the dark blue car in Nigel’s book Original MK2.

It would be very helpful to know how many cars are known exist?

Best wishes,

Tim

I would imagine they’ve got to be extremely rare, no more than a handful.
In the book “Jaguar XK-140 And XK-150 In Detail”, Detlev Clausager doesn’t cite numbers, but claims the same.

Sorry, wrong reference!!
I meant Thorley’s other MKII book, the Complete Companion…

Duncan Wherrett also references the sunroof, but states the two example cars in his book are non-standard.

It’s also interesting that the parts for the sunroof are listed in the Spare Parts Manual (under optional extras), but it is not addressed in the Service manual.

1962-jaguar-mk2-38-manual-od-factory-sunroof-car-rare-needs-full-restoration-21

E-type’s too :shushing_face:images

1 Like

Hi Timothy , car’s are not known to me , yours was the first I see with a factory steel sunroof , most in the UK are the Webasto kind , with all the rain we have don’t think there would be any steel one’s left .
I did a search and found a few !

I have General George Phillips Sneff’s 1967 340 Jaguar. General Sneff is in the Army Aviation Hall of Fame for bringing helicopters into strategic warfare during his tour in Vietnam (1960-67). In 1967 he went into the London Dealership and ordered the Jaguar he wanted. It included two rare options. A sunroof and the Whiter trailer hitch (needed to tow his glider plane to the airfield).

Inside photo looking up at the sunroof partially opened.

Just checked.

I’m not finding any name tag or paperwork suggesting this is an aftermarket unit.

Having a Doctorate and being a researcher I must have documentation or strong anecdotal to support any statement. Hopefully, the following will provide the evidence to support the claim that my 340 has a factory installed sunroof. I understand the notion that a Jaguar was sent off the line for a sunroof to be installed. This was the case for the very few that received the factory sunroof. I’m suggesting this was not the case for the dealer installed sunroofs. The Dealership sunroofs were aftermarket. As to the large handle. It is probably the only one in existence being a 340 and not a MKII.

The top looks to be factory installed as the pressed steel surround is fitted directly to the top.

Then the sunroof frame is attached to the press steel surround.

As you pointed out the sunroof frame is metal. More specifically, it is aluminum. And it has the leading steel edge lip that is activated when the roof is opened.

General Seneff, Commander of the US Army’s 3rd Division Infantry at the USA base in Germany in 1967, went to the London Jaguar dealership and purchased 1 of the 535 left hand drive Jaguar 340s. From Francis Seneff, his wife, she stated, "Phipps insisted there be a factory sunroof installed no matter the cost. The General also wanted a Whitter trailer hitch attached. The Jaguar salesman stated, “We don’t have Jaguars towing anything.” The General replied, “You will put the trailer hitch on the damn car as I need to tow my glider to the airfield.”

I agree, Tim, it is unique and I too wasn’t aware of either the rarity of the Sunroof or Whitter trailer hitch.

I will point out that at the end of the MKII’s run Jaguar was trying to transition to a numbering system (340 and 420). They also put straight port heads on the 3.4 to up the HP. They were trying to move away from the MKII designation

It’s interesting that on the top photo the 340 is fitted with clear rather than amber turn signal lenses I would guess supposedly to satisfy US lighting regulations at the time. Another photo shows the front seats fitted with headrests which as far as I know ,were not fitted from the factory on Mark 2’s or 340’s so it is not inconceivable that when the customer insisted on a sunroof, it was sent out from the factory to an outside establishment to be fitted.

1 Like

A factory steel sunroof, late MK II from November 1966 turned up on Bring-a-Trailer recently. This car has some of the 340 features such as HD8 carbs so probably also the straight port head.

Mk IIs came with straight port heads from the factory. In addition, the BAT Mk II Jaguar is rated at 210 HP. The 340s with the straight port head gave better flow and are rated at 225HP.

Check the Bat photos

Tim
I agree on your assessment of the BAT Jaguar’s sunroof. Note: my 340’s sunroof installation platform is pressed steel integrated into the actual roof. Nothing like the Golde system.

As to the front seat headrest and a cushion that the General wanted in the back seat (he regularly had a driver and sat in the rear seat on the passenger side) I don’t have any explanation.
Have you ever seen a Jaguar with the Witter tow hitch? I will add that I have two 340s. One for parts.

Thorley did an outstanding job on the development of bringing knowledge to the Jaguar community. I will point out that there were very few 340s as the factory was definitely winding down the MkII production. I’m thinking they weren’t looking to provide much in the way of information for an option rarely selected. Like the sunroof because it most likely was very expensive.

Tim,
Education comes in many forms and all contribute to the elevated level of ones understandings. I was merely pointing my background as I come into the conversation.

I will also mention I spent two years working in your great country. Returned in 2014 for Philips Island vintage race and the Formula 1 race at Prince Albert Park. Fantastic people. Tried to return in 2020 and we all know how that worked out.

My My dare I educate an Australian as I did many years ago with the Victorian Education Department. Not to mention you reside in the brilliant metropolis of Melbourne no less. Albert Park was named in 1864 to honour Queen_Victoria’s consort, [Prince Albert]. I stand corrected that it is simply referred to as Albert Park. And yes, Phillip Island is named after Governor Arthur Phillip. Not Phillips. All jesting aside you are a champion for bringing this topic to the forum Tim.

All research should be questioned and pondered for truths and errors. Such as basing absolute truth on 3 presumably known “factory installed” sunroofs out of 83,976 MkIIs made. Without absolute evidence that’s a .00357 % chance of being accurate in any details about the “factory installed” sunroof in MKIIs. I understand citing Thorley’s book. But, there wasn’t in depth photos to guide us. Any documentation connected to the “factory installed” sunroof would clarify many aspects of this inquiry. Without better evidence we are left to make assumptions.

For example, I owned a MKVII with a factory sunroof. It was similar to yours regarding the woodwork.

My 340 is near the last of the MKII line. With the configuration of a pressed steel roof opening. And to see the similarity of my roof to the XKE “factory install” referenced in this thread.
Along with another XKE referenced in an old thread from 2017 https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/metal-sunroof-1972-2-2/351387/10

And since the Jaguar factory took the straight port heads from the XKE to put on the 240’s and 340’s engine it isn’t a tremendous leap to think that they may have also utilized the XKE’s "factory installed " sunroof design ( with front air deflector and my aluminum framing replicating that design). I’m not seeing any aftermarket sunroof advertising in 1966-67 showing a front air deflector. I would assume my 340 would be the only one with the “factory installed” sunroof in a left hand drive. 1 out of 535 made. That’s only a .018692% chance I may be correct. Note: The anecdotal reference from Frances Seneff. And the fact General Seneff ordered the 340. He didn’t buy one off the showroom floor. It was delivered to him December, 1967.

I’ll throw in the 1966 MKII project I’m working on that came to me with a Webasto conversion into this conversation.

It is sporting a 3.8L with high compression pistons and high compression head.

I have the pleasure of owning many rare cars and travel all over the World seeking out any automobile enthusiasts that want to talk cars. Possibly in 2024 I will return to Australia for the Phillip Island vintage races and join my Sunbeam friends at the track. Tim, it would be great if your were to come in your gorgeous MKII.

Point of order! :innocent: I don’t believe there are any ‘High Comp’ heads for Jaguars as standard, not taking into account any that have been highly scimmed.

There is the 8 :1 and the 9 :1 heads. 9 :1 being the higher compression head than the 8 :1.
As I am currently building two race engines I understand the process. One engine is for my #41 1962 Factory Works Sunbeam Alpine (1 of two in existence). Mine was driven by Peter Harper (deceased) and Peter Proctor (whom I spent time with last Spring in the northern part of the UK) that took third in class.

Well in 40 years of being involved with Jaguars I have never heard of 9:1 heads it has always been the pistons that determine the C:R I presume we are talking Jaguar here.

All good, I’ve been doing restorations for 60 years and I’m still learning something new on a regular basis. The compression is literally stamped in the head.

The 9 represents a 9:1 compression for the standard engine.

The 8 represents an 8:1 compression.