MK2 Speedo/Tach bezel gaskets also clock

I am refinishing the wood on my ‘63 MK2 and have just removed the left side fascia where the speedometer and tachometer/clock are mounted. Does anyone have a source for the 5” rubber O rings type gaskets that fit between the back of the gauges and the wood? Also one of the gauges has peeling black paint on the bezel trim. What is the correct sheen for this paint? It looks like satin finish now. Is there a clock available that works? I believe a Forum member was making a modern replacement. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hello Mark,

I obtained my gaskets from one of the usual suppliers (can’t remember which one). McMaster-Carr may carry them but you’ll need to make a volume purchase but the cost won’t be prohibitive.

WRT to the bezel color, the original finish was a satin finish. In the USA, I’ve found that Krylon Black Satin in a is really, really close to the original sheen. I recently refinished my fuel gage bezel in my E-Type using this paint and it matched the rest of the bezels extremely well. I used this paint to refinish all of the bezels in my MK2.

WRT to your clock, I had Mike Eck convert the clocks in my MK2 and E-type to modern movements…They are reliable and accurate. Beats the heck out of being accurate only twice a day…LOL! If you search Mike Eck in the archive, you’ll find information regarding Mike’s clock service.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Brian, I will use the Krylon you recommend. Mike Eck is the guy I was thinking of. I will try to make contact. Thanks again!

Cheers
Mark

Hi Brian, How did you polish the plastic steering wheel cowling and horn push bar? Mine are very dull Pandora I would like to brighten them up a bit?

Cheers
Mark

I used Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish (Two products). I did it by hand using microfiber towels. It takes some time but the result is worth the effort. works well for the tail lamp lenses, etc.

Brian

Hi Brian, Do you have any tips for replacing the scuttle vent seal? Now is the time as I have removed the dashboard etc. I can’t tell how to remove the scuttle flap. Have you done this? Please let me know. Thanks

Best regards
Mark

Hello Mark,

There was an extensive thread about the scuttle vent seal a number of months ago. This should be helpful.

WRT removing the flap, one must remove the three screws that retain the mesh screen to the flap. This will allow you to lower the mesh screen into the air intake plenum and will expose the nuts that retain the flap lid to the hinges. Pay attention to any spacers that may be located between the flap lid and the hinge. I had to shim my lid to achieve proper flushness with the cowl when I reassembled the system. One more note, you’ll need to place the mesh screen into the well of the plenum before you bolt the lid to the hinges. It cannot be fitted afterward. Once bolted to the hinges, you may pull the screen up into position and may then screw it to the flap lid.

I hope this helps!

Brian

Hi Brian, Thanks for the helpful info and the link. It seems there has been a problem with some seals being too small. Yours appears to be correct. Where did you get it? Also, the vent screen on my car looks as if it may have been painted black at some point? Is this correct or should it be unpainted? Can I use the same adhesive for the vent seal that I am using for the door seals? Please let me know. Thanks again.

Hello Mark,

My seal was too short as others have detailed in the thread that I shared. I managed to make it fit by glueing the center 3-4 inches of the seal to the cowl and clamping it to dry for 24 hours or so. I then applied adhesive to the remainder of the seal and stretched it to fit the periphery of the cowl and again, clamped it in several places and let dry for 24 hours or so. To date (5 years on), the seal has remained in place and I’ve had no issues.

WRT the screen, it was painted body color on our car prior to restoration. I refinished the screen in body color when I re-painted the entire car.

WRT to the type of adhesive I used, I utilized DAP Weldwood contact adhesive. The precise variant of Weldwood that I used, I can’t recall. I used this adhesive for the door seals as well as the flap seal.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Thanks again Brian! I called suppliers and got a seal from SNG. Salesman Tony was familiar with the size issue, and according to his computer listing, theirs is the only seal on the market that is the correct size. So I went with that. Should have it by the end of the week. Thanks for your help.