Mk2 with auto trans

Can some with experience give me their view on Mk2 with automatic trans? Found one that is the same color as my S1 E coupe, but not sure if one with automatic is a good choice.
Can someone with experience give me the pro’s and con’s on the automatic?
Thanks,
John

Depends on what you’re looking for. My car has a John’s Cars 700R4 auto+OD in it, so it shifts like a modern car and cruises on the highway. It’s very pleasant to drive and a comfortable cruiser.

That said, I’ve been transforming the car into more of a tribute vintage racing car, so I’m going to be swapping in a 5 speed. My hope is it’ll act and feel much more raw and connected.

It will depend on the year of manufacture. My car has a Borg Warner DG 250 and a 3.4 engine. The DG is a little quirky as it drives through the torque converter for 1st and 2nd and 3rd is direct (by lock up). Later cars had later series BW boxes if conventional design - all drive through torque converter. Can identity the DG as it as an “intermediate speed hold” switch on dash that prevents upshift to top. Many dislike the DG, I travel distances in mine so favour the direct drive to drop the revs at speed. Paul

What year did the BW trans start install from factory?
How is the performance with that trans, compared to manual?
Pro’s and con’s for this automatic?
I just have no info on automatic drive quality.
Thanks,
John

I believe later in production - my car is a '63. By the time of the 240s and 340s box had changed over to BW8’s or similar - a standard three speed through a torque converter. For manuals the Moss changed in the E type to an all synchro in '64. An early Mk2 manual will have a Moss.
The autos are probably 2 seconds behind the manuals to 60mph - maybe more. Others will know more than I do. Paul

My car has the DG – a little acceleration is lost but otherwise a nice drive. As and when a rebuild is required may swap to Graham Whitehouse Autos conversion to the autobox from I think the XJ40 – a ‘proper’ 4 speed auto.

That’s probably the earlier XJ40 box ZF4hp22. The later ones were electronic control.

Mk 11 with an automatic trans . Our 61 Mk 11 3.8 , now sold had a 4 speed Automatic from an XJ40.
The trans very smooth , the only downfall I found was that it did not change into 4th gear until 60 mph .
In other words , a 3 speed box with the 4th being Overdrive , and the RPM did not drop until that speed was obtained .The automatic seemed to suck up a lot of the power of the 3.8 engine . My choice if there is a next time would be a 5 speed manual from THE DRIVEN MAN .
Kim R .

Have a 1965 Series One Roadster and a 1963 Auto 3.4 Mk2.

E Type is excellent for fast driving, the MK2 is excellent for cruising.

Stewart

A man of good taste. Paul

Straight hydraulic autos continued until 1997 on the smaller engined XJ6 models. Of course, not every market got the smaller sixes…