MK2 with wires rear hub removal

Hi all,
I wanted to change the oil control rings on my MK2 at the rear.(WIRE WHEEL CAR)
The 5 bolts retaining the hub cannot be removed as no access to the rear inside the brake disc to stop them turning.
Do I conclude that the whole hub+shaft + disc has to me removed in one piece?
Dirk

The hub and disc have to be removed as 1 unit. You need to use the proper jaguar/Churchill puller. You also need the jaguar workshop manual.

The drawing in the Haynes shows the removal of a disc wheel’s hub. text is a bit vague.

I believe you can rent the tool from the Jaguar club of North America. I used a copious amount of heat with an ox/acetyl torch and a gear puller. Do NOT position yourself in the way of that hub coming off. It launched itself into the drywall of my garage.

Gerard

1 Like

Launch is the operative word. Mine flew a full car length.

Job done. Got myself a very heavy bearing puller and with some conviction the hubs came off.
Axle was sweating but apparently not through the oil control rings but rather trough the shim area.
Put everything together after thorough cleaning with a smear of sealant on the shims.

2 Likes

If the car is jacked up on one side only and left for a while, oil will run along the tube and sit behind the oil seal. This will then show as a leak.