Mk2 won't start

have you checked the distributor cap inside that the central spring & carbon brush moves up & down freely ?

A “spark tester” is a $5 tool that is very handy

Is the coil spark blue and strong, or orange and weak ?

Thanks for that Tony, carbon brush is fine , but I do suspect the coil, it sparks, but not with the usual snap. I will get a new one .

Check your local parts stores for 40 and 45,000 Petronix or 123 Ignition volt coils for under $40. There are different ohms models and I’ll ask for someone else to chime in for the correct ohms to use. I’m not near the car to look at mine.

Gerard

Pointing out the obvious: This distributor needs a serious clean up with particular attention to the cam and distributor shaft. Can’t believe the vacuum advance and mechanical advance could be working correctly with this much corrosion. Looks like it has been soaked in salt water.

1 Like

Hi john ithink you were looking at the photo’s that Bob sent me

Hi guys, I don’t have to tell you this, I could just say I fixed the car . But fact is , I got someone who knows what he’s doing . Some Muppet had put the new points in wrong and got the coil leads the wrong way round, would you credit it ? But a huge thanks to all who offered valued advice and help :joy:

Hooray :smiley: so now on to the headlamp flasher / fog lamp issue Ken.

I remember your words peter , don’t let the two leads touch the post. ! Yes, headlamps next. My registration plates have arrived, so we can go for a drive before lockdown.