Mk4 front window hinges

Hi Guys.
I use the front opening window a lot but recently the top left hand hinge seems to have come loose. As the supposedly loose screws are behind the upholstery I would like a close up picture detailing without the upholstery the manner of fixation to the body roofline. Any helpers out there?
Regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

I can’t find any photos of the area you are interested in but you may be able see in there by peeling back the head cloth. The front edge is actually glued into metalwork around the top of the windscreen. Open the screen fully and I think you will see where it is glued. That said there is millboard supporting it in the inside and that may limit your view.

Peter

Thanks Peter - was hoping to carefully penetrate the lining and do the screws up tight with a screw driver unless the hinge itself is broken. Maybe someone else will come up with a naked picture.
Regards
Mike

Not very helpful I’m afraid.

Actually it may be just the ticket but I cant seem to enlarge the image - any chance of a higher resolution.
Regards
Mike

Hi Mike,

I normally retain all my original images on SD cards but this was part of a series of photos of a friend’s car and I appear to have deleted the originals and only kept the resized versions. I did sharpen the version I posted previously which might not have helped. Here is the unsharpened full image.

Peter

If I’m interpreting correctly it looks as if the hinges are secured to the body by 4x 2BA 1/2" screws.

Near as I can tell, these are untouched since 1938.

My unreliable memory has been prodded about some work I did here about a decade ago. I had a badly warped headlining board and gently removed the trim and made a replacement from 3mm ply. There were a few hinge screws loose or missing so I removed the hinges completely and reset them. The difficulty I recall was getting the washers and nuts on in the narrow gap under the roof and trying to hold the spanner in place. I think I added spring washers to keep them tight.

The window is relatively heavy and when open, shakes a bit with road bumps. All the weight and any shaking is taken on these lightweight hinges so it is important to have them tight. If you remove them, note that they are handed to match the roof slope.

If you remove the other roof litems near the windscreen, and with the windscreen taken out, then you can slip a flat blade screwdriver in to lever down carefully the roof trim and its backing board. You can then get a small 90 degree bend tool in there to tighten up the screws. It is difficult to see and you will need a small flashlight and perhaps a small mirror, but I managed it !!!

Remove roof items like the sun visors, rear view mirror, etc.

If you take out the windscreen (top release hinges may release it enough to lift it forward sufficiently) you can get a screwdriver blade under the roof liner to access the screws.

Good advice Peter - Thanks.

Thanks for trying Peter. I have tried zooming but the details become blurred.

Yes exactly - am worried that even if I do find the exact location to penetrate the lining with a screw driver the nut behind may not grip to tighten.

These screws I can access by opening the window Rob - it is the 4 screws concealed by the roof lining that have supposedly come loose. Was trying to work out what the grey vinyl was then realised it was your car cover on the other side of the glass - haha.

This past experience of yours Peter is what I am fearful I will be up for. Perhaps I will get an injection needle and flood the hinge mounting with araldite - but that would be far too easy wouldnt it.
Regards
Mike

Now David this info from someone who has actually done it is like finding gold. Thankyou. Will wash my hands, comb the hair and venture to the shed.

Well, I stand embarrassed albeit relieved guys. Found my 2BA spanner and an old screwdriver that I intended to crank as per David’s instructions only to find that the offending hinge was solidly screwed to the body and the trouble being caused by the 3 chromed screws into the frame coming loose - nearly to the point of dropping out. So! - about 30 seconds worth of tightening of the 3 fully exposed screws and the problem dissolved. Would like to thank everyone who chipped in to help with photos and experience and once again shows how worthwhile is the collective worldwide wisdom of this forum. Thanks guys.

I get a bit concerned about these triple-screw connections into the window frame because all the holes are tapped brass. Overtightening or excess wear due to looseness can cause the threads to strip - what to do then?

I found a micro rachet and 90 degree offset screwdrivers a real aid to working on many hard to reach Jaguar areas - places you would not get a 1/2" drive tool in!! Purchased mine from a clock and watch repair supplier.