Mk9 engine conversion?

My mate Peter, who has owned one for more than 30yrs, has pulled the fenders years ago to do rust repairs (as I mentioned earlier, I rang him up).

He does very high quality metal fabrication followed by lead wiping.

He currently has the engine out of it, with a Johns kit and T7004 to go in. (RHD are harder)

He doesnt work as fast as he used to, being a bit older now

No idea what yer talking about, there.

:smirk:

No fabrication needed when I put a 1975 XJ6 engine in my MK2 , MK2 mounts bolted on the XJ6 block !

As I said, not true for the later xj6, which is the whole point. Why bother to make the swap without getting all the great accessory bolt-ups and EFI?

Tony, ever get a chance to put your eyes on the Mk7? Anything permanent about that attachmet other than the spot welds?

I will this week…the MK7 must be different to the MK9, as I have taken wings off several MK7, no spot weld, no lead…I will take photos

I support your idea of removing the wings (if they need any work)…with the proviso that there probably is a heap of lead in there…are you capable of, or intending to re-lead the joint?

Thanks, Tony. There seems to be different information provided about whether mk7s are the same as mk9, but I’ll take what I can get. I do everything on the cars including engine and mechanical rebuilds, electrical, paint and body, and upholstery. I spent three weeks last year in the shop of Wray Schelin learning coaachbuilding skills - while I would look for a better solution than replacing leadwork, I could do it if required. Although it’s wonderfully versatile (I worked in an uncle’s body shop when I was a teenager where he did some lead work) and I’d much prefer not to deal with the toxicity. For the purpose of easy access to the engine compartment for sheet metal and welding mods, I could even probably just remove one fender, as long as everything else was a bolt-up. If they put the fenders on like an xk120, forget it. Definitely not worth it.

here is 2 pics of MK7 guards, one on the vehicle is just bolted on, not welded

The old one sitting free shows a hole near the front.

I do believe it may be that a fastener of some type penetrates that hole from below,
but I could be wrong. and it may be evidence of 1 spot weld at that location

Thanks, Tony. As you know, I’m pretty preoccupied with the Mk10 project now, so won’t be thinking about the mk9 much for awhile. I had an interesting experience with the mk10 fuel system a couple of days ago that I will post separately.

lol, I didnrt even realise you were the same fellow

just came across the pics when transferring from my camera to laptop storage

going to go work on my 420G right now, I have done a complete rehab of the front DS door, (including making a new door card…what a time consuming job that turned into)

I am about to have a crack at an fg xr6 full transplant, will let you know how it goes, It already has a 4.1 crossflow ford in it so hoping the change will be a bit smoother.

Thanks - I’d love to hear about that. If you have a website or blog with photos, please send me a link.

Hi Tony , just reading an old post where you said you had a wrecked mk7 . I’m missing a couple of those little blue panel light covers . I don’t suppose you have them ?

I probably have one or two. PM if interested.

Pete

Hi Pete , did my PM get through ?