MKIV Battery and Cradle Dimensions

Hello Friends,

I was sent this schematic and description today, so I’m posting it in case it is of interest to other owners.

Further to that here is a link to some information about the Ebonite Company in the UK.

Cheers,
Tim

I remember that stuff–never knew the name–for I believe the battery trays in TR2/3/4s were made of the same material.

Nice article
There were also Lucas battery covers [ probably optional] but seem to be shown fitted to SS1s on the production line
The y come up occasionally on ebay and are useful for disguising a more modern black battery.
It’s sad to see owners throw away original cases as they can be rebuilt with new cells. Ariel batteries in Melb do it on about a 3 day turn around.
At one stage they had a few NOS Mk IV cases… which I promptly bought.
There were a few different companies making them at the time so different logos appear on the front [ or none] But if you have one without a logo there is a company in US selling rubber 'LUCAS"badges of the appropriate type to stick on. for that vital extra concours point.

As far as I know there is only one manufacturer in the UK now that will rebuild oddball battery cases but they refuse to ship them with acid so you have to find a local acid supplier and that has become very restricted.

Peter

Hello Ed,

What is the name of the company in the USA which sells the appropriate Lucas badge?

I wonder what will happen when Ariel Batteries closes its doors? The owner did say to me that he has no one to take over the business, sadly. So many skills simply lost.

Cheers,
Tim

I was fairly certain the Mark V never had this box, until I found this in a book published in 1967.

Here is what mine has to hold the battery.

This battery came from:
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/batteries.html
The caps are real but it does not take water, I think its some kind of Optima gel cell inside.

Hi Rob,

Very interesting. Love the look of the battery. I’m guessing that they wouldn’t be permitted to ship them overseas but perhaps they might export the case then I might be able to have one made up by Ariel batteries here in Melbourne? I guess this is the company Ed mentioned?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,
Yes this would be the company Ed mentioned. They rebuilt a hard-rubber battery for me a few years ago and I must say that they did a great job…

Jon.

Hi Jon,

Are you talking about Ariel Batteries in Clifton Hill or the Antique Auto Batteries in the USA?

I’ve asked Antique Auto Batteries if they can ship a battery to Australia and if not, then would they sell me the case and top which I could have Ariel build with new internals.

Cheers,

Tim

If they an ship then dry [ well if they 'will 'ship the,Ariel can fill them.

Hi Tim,
Sorry; I see the confusion. I was talking about Ariel batteries in Clifton Hill.
I found an old hard rubber battery on Ebay and they rebuilt it for me… You just have to keep looking; they do turn up. :slight_smile:
Jon

Hi Jon,

I have an original MKIV battery courtesy of Ivan Stevens. I was just wondering about one for the MKV. The MKV is not a concourse contender so I was simply researching.

Cheers,
Tim

Mine from Antique Auto Batteries is dry, no acid or water.
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/index.html
But the caps unscrew, so they tell you not to put water in them. They also say to use a slow low amp charger, but not a trickle charger.
Notice the SS1 among the happy customers.
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/about.html

1 Like

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the message. Does the battery come filled with a gel or does that need to be added?
I have left them a message and hope they will respond soon.
Cheers,
Tim

Well, summinabitch, I had no idea this service was available!

Brilliant!

My battery came ready to go, nothing to add.

That’s great, thanks Rob.

I just hope that they reply to my enquiry, time will tell. Some US companies don’t like to deal with people from overseas which I have found over the years, sadly.

Any news on Cordell Newby?

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Rob,

The battery people got back to me, $260.00 + $335.00 shipping - all USD! Too expensive for me I’m afraid.

Cheers,
Tim

Hello Tim,
I have two 3.5 Liter left hand drive Mark IVs that have no battery trays. Every car I have seen seems to have a different configuration. Although I have squinted at the diagram, I have not seen anything mentioning the depth of the battery. If anyone has a picture of the Mark IV battery holder that might help. Since the cars are not up and running I will make the correct parts and get the battery later.
Regards,
Dennis

Herewith picture of battery tray on my MK IV LHD, before and after painting
rgds,
Polti