My blog is now active - if you are interested in following the restoration progress, the blog can be found here:
This is very early days for the restoration so there is not much to read as yet.
With respect to the Forum: if people are not interested, I will cease posting updates here. I do not make any money from this but it might be useful to other people doing full or partial restorations. Feedback is always welcome, I am not a professional
First Post is the start of the passenger seat re-construction (extreme rust has taken it beyond restoration).
I have removed and after 2 weeks of soaking in PlusGas - freed up the seat winder mechanism and today created a test piece for curved angle iron to match the original seat profile.
Does anyone have a half decent picture of this area (restored) please?
Its the lower under bonnet area before the bottom of the front door. The panel looks like it has been pushed in at some point and the repair can be improved upon - but I dont know what it is supposed to look like. Both sides of the car have been repaired at some point and neither are in good condition.
Thanks, this is super cool. As is the fact you are bringing one of these beasts back from the grave!
Mine is unrestored, but on the other hand it doesn’t look damaged at all.
Thanks both, just what I was looking for! Back to the garage
My blog has been updated : Restoration Blog | Rusty Metal Man
But in summary and I will keep this brief, the car is now at my workshop where the restoration can commence, I have washed off 40 years of dust, hoovered out the interior and looked over the car more closely wondering where to begin. I also sprayed some de-oxidising fluid on some of the chrome (windscreen surround, radiator grill) and the difference was amazing (picture below). All it took was a light spray, agitate with a detailing brush and wash off - I have NOT used chrome cleaner or anything similar - just the de-oxidising fluid
Your car looks pretty good!
Exciting feeling, isn’t it.
When mine arrived at my home, the first thing I did was remove the 1960s era red shag carpeting. Jag and shag don’t go together.