MkIV Hand Throttle Mechanism

Hello again.

The saga continues.

Would anyone have a photo or photo’s of the Hand Throttle Mechanism from the dash to the carburettors? I seem to be missing it as well as the arm on the shaft of the carburettor. I have a photo of the arm on the carburettor on a friend’s car.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

The hand throttle on the SS differs from the MkIV so I only have photos I’ve taken in the past. The MkIV lever in your photo is free to rotate on the throttle shaft but has a little pad that catches on the foot pedal lever and can thereby open the throttle but not close it. A Bowden cable from the hand throttle has its outer anchored somewhere on the rear carb but I can’t see in my photo exactly where.

Peter

Thank you Peter, that’s very helpful.

Tim

In my car the outer hand throttle cable is held back by a pressed steel tab with a fine hole at one end (which allows the inner cable to pass) and a coarse one at the other which is clamped with the bolt holding the plenum chamber for the air cleaners .
Darryl

Is this the control in question Tim?
Cannot remember if the scrapper was pre or post war.

Peter B

Hello Peter, I don’t have the part so I’m not sure? Others will no doubt know. Is the part in the photo one you might sell to me?

Kindest regards,
Tim

Yes, that is the dashboard control.

Peter

Thank you, Darryl.

This is the list from the Parts Catalogue. Interestingly, it’s made by Lucas!??

Tim

Hi Tim,
It’s probably one of the few bits they made that doesn’t smoke!
Darryl

Hi Tim,

I wrongly suggested that the loose lever on the throttle spindle acted on the fixed lever (connected to the pedal). It actually acts on the little fixed collar that is in between the two levers in my photo.

Peter

Not a problem Peter, thank you for the clarification. It’s all a steep learning curve for me with every part I discover is missing. You must have been fortunate to have had all the parts for your lovely car. So far I have found the missing bits and pieces which is encouraging. I have appreciated the Jaguar community and the assistance I have been offered when trying to locate parts.

Tim

The photo posted by Peter Balls appears to be the same as mine.
The knob screws in and out to set the throttle.

A length of lawn mower control cable would have to be crimped into it.

It acts on a lever clamped on the cross bar part of the pedal linkage.
The cable passes through a little brass sleeve with a hex head set screw to hold it.
I suppose Lucas was in the business of making dashboard knobs and this was right up their alley.
Sort of an early version of cruise control, although they didn’t call it that.
I have not driven mine yet on a long quiet road where I could try it.

Peter’s throttle control knob is post-war as it has straight-cut knurls, whereas on Rob’s pre-war one the knurls are cross-cut. I believe this difference is true for all the dashboard controls.
Denis

Hi Tim,

I’m afraid there were quite a lot of parts missing from my car. Some was able to buy others I had to make.

Peter.

1 Like

This the throttle control knob of a 1948 MK IV DHC

rgds

1 Like

I don’t think that was a factory fitted item.

Peter

Rob, Our SS hand throttle linkage is different from the MkIV.

Peter

You wouldn’t want to stop in a hurry! :wink:

I really don’t understand the point of the Hand Throttle? When the Starting Carburettor has done its work the car will idle quite nicely as on the MKV and most subsequent models. No doubt someone will have a good reason as to why it was used. :blush:

Tim

We are in good company then! Again, it’s really lovely to have the help and advice from the Jag community. :smile:

Tim

Peter Scott, being the knowledgeable fellow he is, used the name Bowden cable. I have found a Bowden cable manufacturer in Melbourne!

With all the photo’s and advice I have worked out how it functions on the MKIV. Now all I have to do is find the missing bits - the hard part.

Thanks again, Rob.

Tim

1 Like